Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

>>>>>PLEASE DISREGARD THIS MY POSTING DIRECTLY BELOW. JAMES GILBRIDE HAS DONE AN EXCELENT JOB AND DID GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH ME WITHIN A FEW DAY SOF THIS POSTING. I SUPPOSE I SHOULD HAVE NOT COMMENTED ON THIS THREAD ANN JUST STARTED A NEW ONE>>>> JAMES GILBRIDE HAS NOT ONLY JUMPED ON IT BUT HE ALSO APOLOGIZED AS HE WAS VERY VERY BUSY AT THE TIME... ANF QUITE FRANKLY I WAS SWAMPED AT THE TIME AND TRYING TO CLEAR THINGS OFF MY TO-DO LIST THAT KEPT CROPPING UP TO THE POINT OF FRUSTRATION.>>> RATHER THAN JUST REMOVE THE ENTIRE POSTING WHICH WOULD CONFUSE EVERYONE I HAVE LEFT IT HERE SO THE REMAINDER OF THE THREAD REMAINS LOGICAL. SKIP OVER THIS AND SCROLL DOWN TO 22AUGUST...

I have held in my frustration for too long. I posted several months back about what I thougth Minardi needed to do. The bulk of that "strategic plan" if you will, was that the key to the problem was CASH. SPONSERS!

I actually tried to accomplish what I said should be done.

I met with James Gilbride @ the 2004 USGP....back when he was an assistant. This year he is promoted and now holds the title of Spnsership Manager. This year I introduced him to one of my parnters who was instrumental in a major US machine tool builder (shouldn't take much research to figure out who that is as there is only one left in the US) who is now sponsering a Winston Cup (nextel) car. Typically, this mahcine tool builder will supply 8-10 brand new CNC mills and or lathes to the racing team. This mfg WANTS to expand their international brand recognition. My partner, Tim, never got a follow up call.

I gave James the name of a first tier supplier, who is a huge F1 fan, to Linnamar and Magna...Basically the Canadian automotive manufacturers, whom I promised that if he would start a dialogue with these two companies and intorduce James I could get him in the pits at the next years USGP for a short while to which James agreed that woudl be good. My friend Hal has never gotten a phone call to make these introductions.

A few days after the USGP I was at a machinery open house and got to talking to the VP of another machine tool builder. He said that he loves racing and sponsers everythign from Busch series to drag racing in the US but doesn't have an international presense. He would be very very very interestedin speaking to Minardi, our underdog team (as I presented it) I had my laptop and showed him around rj's site here at forzaminardi. he was inmpressed. he said get me the contact information. I emailed james Gilbride his information and copied him. The USGP generated publicity for F1...this guy was actually interested in this. his deal is that he gives the teams brand new CNC equipment for use for one year adn then turns around and sells the machine as slightly used but get the racing team guys to autograph it. For those of you that have been to the factory i think it is safe to say that any new CNC machines would be helpful to the team. Roger never got a response.

I never got a response. I never got a thank you. No one has ever called or emailed me. Should I take this as pompous arrogance from a young punk who has apparantly never worked sales? Was I deluded when I thought that trying to get them US sponsers might be a good idea. If someone gives me a lead for some major cash I at least sent a thank you. I follow up with the lead and I keep them abreast of developments.

maybe james gilbride knows more than I do. maybe he's got a huge deal for sponseship brewing and doesn't want to mess that up.

Perhaps if someone actually in the marketing department worked half as hard the guys doing the actual labor then those mechanics wouldn't have to worry about trying to build one complete fuel pump by bastardizing two others cause there where not enough spare parts right before a race... soemthing we saw frist hand this year at the USGP. A little cash could go a long way according to all the guys we spoke with...

...too bad the sponsership guy is too caught up in something else to send a couple of emails and generate a "little cash' to keep thing afloat while he works on hsi major deals.

[Edited on 23/8/2005 by bernie]

Comments

• Bernie

get in touch with Quig and he can pass your info on to Alberto Accorsi. Alberto was our tour guide at Faenza, was at our banquet, and he is a Sponsor manager. Just a thought........

• already done. Murph, U going to the Pittsburgh Vintage GP today or tommorrwo? I'm heading down in a few minutes
  • I passed your info along to my peeps Bernie.
  • This is depressing.
  • we should grab up all opportunities and not leave the train to pass without stopping it!:mad:
  • Off with this Gilbride chap's head!
  • This is fucking ridiculous!

bernie - I remember your 'strategic plan' from months ago and it was perfectly sound and very feasable. What I can't understand is why on earth would a team with as small a budget as Minardi, not look in to ANY deal they could? No wonder we're doing shithouse at the moment! :spank:
  • I agree, even the smallest sponsors could turn or grow into the largest sponsors. This is disapointing.
  • Dissapointing indeed. Although, it's not hard to imagine the kind of spam, hoaxes and stuff Gilbride gets in e-mails. I can see why your e-mail could have been overlooked, ignored or even deleted.
    Did you attempt to contact Gilbride or the sponsorship team via a phone call or a printed letter? It's harder for them to ignore that kind of correspondence.

Please check your Private Messages, Bernie.
  • it's SPONSOR not "sponser".
  • Thank God you're there salvo, I can't do all this on my own.
  • :hehe:
    with latin words it's up to me
  • pecunia non olet
  • Bernie - did you get an email back? I did but let me know...
  • Just wondering:

Now that Doornbos replaces Friesacher some of our sponsors will change as well!!!

Will there be made new merchandise ??????????????????
  • sorry for the mis-spelling. In prison the spelled it with an 'e':hehe:

FYI. James contacted me via email yesterday. He has made contact via email with the one contact I provided him and cc'd me on a sponser kit.

I am not sure if he has made contact with the others but I have forwarded on the sponsor kit (PDF promo piece with some very nice demographic information) to some of the the other contacts I have who might have an interest.

One of the email's I got:
    "Dear Bernie ,

It was great to see you all again at Indy this year. Many thanks for your assistance - your loyal support is much appreciated. I hope we can do something with them. To have a company like this on board would be fantastic. There are so many areas where we have a strong alignment.

We are working hard here as always, this 19 race season this year is unreal - so much travelling we never stop!

Very best regards and look forward to seeing you all again next year!

James"

[Edited on 20/7/2005 by bernie]
  • Maybe he read this thread here and decided to finally follow up on your leads !!!!!;)
  • One can only hope that Big Brother is keepin a finger on the pulse of fans like us....
  • Does anyone happen to know if Widia has sponsered and F1 team?

I have a meeting with their Global Product Manager and thought I might hit him up for a bit of support

http://www.widia.com/about.html
  • I recall Widia as a company that makes industrial cutting blades/knives !!!
    When I was working for a forwarder in Holland we loaded them in Holland to Switserland !!!

I just did a google with keywords Widia Sponsor F1 and nothing really evident came out of it.

Btw, any knew from marketingman "James the slacker" ??

• Hey now - James has been very supportive of our efforts - I have been in on some of the email traffic and he is responsive. These things take time.
  • This morning I thought this thread was new and started reading from the beginning untill I realized it was older.
    But rereading Bernies story it seemed to me that this James did absolutely not reply and didn't contact the leads !!!!!

Like I already said back then: maybe he saw this topic here and changed his working methods !!!!!

Good luck to him and the team !!!!!
  • Bernie - on that note - I too thought this was a new thread and upon reading it in light of what has transpired since then you may want to edit your post and say that it was written a while back yadda yadda....

James is doing a good job.

WAY BETTER than that clown paul Jordan ever did.
  • Dmn it! I really should have just started a new thread. JAMES HAS DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB of follow-up and contacting everyone. He has been very busy and apolagized. I thought that I had posted that but apparantly I was mistaken and the egg is now completely on face. I suppose I owe him an apology for posting on this..

Okay, I have now spoken to the widia folks and they are no longer in control of those decisons. Those decisons are made about 1 hour from my house. go figure! I'll dig and see what I can find out.

...and yes, Widia is a huge player in the world market for hi performance cutting tools. Owned by Kennametal.

...and finally I'ld like to restate everything Emmet said:

"James is doing a good job.

WAY BETTER than that clown paul Jordan ever did."

THAT is worth saying twice.
  • Appreciate your will to put so much energy in getting Minardi some money Bernie!
  • OK, so I take back my words about James !

Bernie is the slacker for not updating his post earlier !!!:hehe:
    (just kidding:P)