Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

V10 advantage ?

From f1racing.net:
Minardi may power off the rear of the grid in 2006, according to a rumble in the Hockenheim paddock. Some wags suggest that a rev-limited V10 engine could still pack more punch than the first generation of 2.4 V8.

"If you just equate the power," Toyota's John Howett admitted in Germany, "there is a strong probability that a V10 would be a better option."

Cash strapped Minardi will use the FIA's option of sticking with the 3.0 litre formula, with a rev limit, next year.

Mercedes' Norbert Haug, though, denied that it will become an issue. He suggested that the FIA will define the V10 'limit' once the performance of the V8s is clear. "My understanding," said the German, "is that the V10 will be handicapped in the right manner so it's not superior."

Comments

• Like I said a few weeks ago.
    Rev limited Cosworth V10's next season.

If the rev limit is set at 17500-18000rpm as I have read it will be, that will not affect Minardi at all. From what i've seen we already rev limit our engines in the races to get the absolute maximum life out of them and insure a finish. Think about it, this is no different to 1988 when the Turbo engines had their final season to make way for the N/A 3.5 litre engines. The Turbo cars were restricted, yet they still got up and won. Only this time around, if a team can afford to have a V8 (which all of the leading teams can because they have free engine supplies or build their own) then they have to use one.
  • There's no way that they will let the v10 out perform the v8. Can you imagine the uproar.

Also do the rules stipulate that we can use the rev limited v10 until 2008 when the current concorde agreement expires. I can just imagine that the PS05 that has been built the cosworth v10 could still be circulating as a PS05c in 2007 or something like that with the rev limited v10 inside.

Can't imagine that there will be a PS06 this soon after the PS05 and if that's the case then there will no way be a PS07 if there's going to be so many changes in 2008.

Can't see Stoddard wanting to spend any more money than he has to. Can you?
  • Trouble is, if they rev limit the V10 then you shorten the engines power spread, and make the car much more difficult to drive as well as drastically limiting its horsepower. I tend to believe that is why we are so slow at the moment, as the cars fly in qualifying, and then drop off the ball in the race when (in my theory) the team rev limit the engines short of their peak HP.
  • Autosport have stated that there could be equivalence between the engines on power output. For a V10 that would mean limiting the revs to around 15 000 rpm. Under those circumatances a V8 is a massively superior engine on traction, torque driveability.
    No Minardi will be in a pretty sorry state next year. This year's chassis could be described as poor. Combining it with a poor engine and the team will just be padding out the numbers on the grid no more, no less.
  • Combining it with a poor engine and the team will just be padding out the numbers on the grid no more, no less.
    I hate to say it,but...... Business as usual!!!
  • Only thing we could hope for is unreliability of the V8's, our rev limited V10 should have no problem with reliability.