Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Friday at Budapest

2»

Comments

• Today's team PR:
    For the first time this season, the Minardi F1 Team ran a third car during a race weekend, Chanoch Nissany taking the wheel of the Faenza squad's third chassis on the opening day of preparations for this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Nissany, who is the first Israeli driver to participate in a Formula One event, took part in the first of Saturday's two official practice sessions, but missed the second when his car developed a hydraulic problem.

Race drivers Christijan Albers and Robert Doornbos got down to their normal Friday technical programmes at the Hungaroring, and although a dirty track surface and an electrical problem with Albers' car meant the morning session was not as productive as it might have been, both drivers made up for lost ground in the afternoon.

Robert Doornbos:

"The Hungaroring is actually a very nice track to drive, even if there are a lot of turns for a Formula One car. Right from the first lap this morning, the car seemed to go well and we worked some more on chassis balance during the lunch break to suit my driving style. We further improved the set-up, and I think the second session was also good from the beginning. We hope to continue like this for the rest of the weekend."

Christijan Albers:

"We had a little bit of a bad start this morning when a broken speed sensor cost us quite a lot of time. As a result, we weren't able to cover so many laps. Even so, to do a 1 minute 27.5 second lap on my first proper run this morning was not so bad. In the second practice, we were mostly just playing around with the car, trying a number of different set-up changes, and then, on the last set of tyres, we went for a quick lap. We encountered some traffic, though, and the first lap was gone."

"Unfortunately, I think this is a track where you have to get your time on the first lap, and although the second lap was okay, it was a bit off what it could have been. We need to push really hard tomorrow and see where we can improve my car, as we still have some balance problems."

Chanoch Nissany:

"It was really exciting to take part in my first Formula One race weekend. I made two runs this morning, but unfortunately, this afternoon some technical issues arose with the car and couldn't be fixed in the time available. I like the track here very much -- it's my home circuit -- and it has been a big honour for me to have the opportunity to become the first Israeli to drive in a Grand Prix weekend."

Paul Stoddart, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth:

"First all, our congratulations go to Chanoch on his Formula One debut as a Minardi test driver. The morning session started satisfactorily, but towards the end of the hour, a hydraulic problem curtailed the rest of Chanoch's day. Nevertheless, there will be further opportunities as he continues his testing programme with Minardi throughout the year."

"Robert and Christijan had a more productive day. Both completed their Friday technical programmes, despite Christijan losing much of the first session with an electrical problem, and their times were impressive, all of which bodes well for the rest of the weekend here in Hungary."

ROBERT DOORNBOS
    Chassis: PS05/02
    Best lap: 1 min 23.670 secs
    Position: 19th

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS
    Chassis: PS05/01
    Best lap: 1 min 24.093 secs
    Position: 20th

CHANOCH NISSANY
    Chassis: PS05/03
    Best lap: 1 min 34.319 secs (first session)
    Position: 23rd
    Doornbos' PR:
    Hardly a week after Robert Doornbos made his official Formula One 'debut' as race driver for the Minardi F1 team, the Rotterdam born driver again took place in his F1 car at the Hungaroring circuit.

In the two Free Practices of one hour each, which were held under sunny circumstances (air temperature 34ºC, track temperature 47ºC), the 23 year old posted a fastest time of 1:23.670, which was good for the 19th position.

At the 4,381 kilometre long track Doornbos got, additional to his regular team mate Christijan Albers, this time company from the Israeli driver Chanock Nissany, whom for the first time drove the third car of Minardi.

The first practice session between 11:00 and 12:00 was used by the Dutchman to find a good setup for his PS05 at the twisty, hilly circuit near Budapest, which hosts the Grand Prix of Hungary since 1986.

After his installation lap, Doornbos drove three runs of about 5 laps. As the session developed, the laptimes improved. At the end of the one hour session, Doornbos han 16 laps and posted a fastest time of 1:27.011 (P19).

In the afternoon session from 14:00-15:00 hours, the F3000 graduate drove 5 runs of about 5 laps each in total. Doornbos' fastest time of 1:23.670 (set at threequarter of the session) couldn't be matched by Jordan drivers Narain Karthikeyan, Tiago Monteiro and Nicolas Kiesa, which meant that both Doornbos and Albers again beat the Jordans today.

Robert Doornbos:

"Today I focussed especially on the set-up of the car. This morning the circuit was quite 'green' and offered little grip. Over lunch we changed the set-up of the car, which made the car feel a lot better. On new tyres I could up my game several times."

"I also practised several pit stops and practiced some starts to get more experienced in this area as well. After my experience at Hockenheim I also did some manual starts. Overall, I am very satisfied with the results. Tomorrow you may expect a good result from me in the qualifying session!"
  • Why excuses???
    Because the fact that he is a little slower then RD today?
    How many time Friesacher was faster in Friday free practise and Albers destroyed him in saturday quali:hehe:
    I know you don't like Chris, but keep it clean!
    The same thing happened when Verstappen was in the team. Except back then it were basically the Dutch versus the foreigners. Now it's beginning to look like it is Dutch vs. Dutch.

I wouldn' t worry about it. And I can know. Everything will be fine as long as they both do the best they can in the qualification and the race. In my experience it's better just not to look at the times of Friday.

This Dutch vs. Dutch thing can only make both drivers perform bette :D
  • We have to say a WELL DONE again!

I really impressed by the performance of our drivers and our team also. I don't know what happend but it's really good to be a Minardi fan since the Germany GP. We improved a lot in a short time and this progress is a complety new experience for me because i can't remember when we made a big step forward like this in the past.
  • @ Minardisquad

Read the quotes in the press-release from both drivers and you know what I mean: Doornbos is concentrating on the car, Albers is concentrating on beating Doornbos and talking about the reasons why he was slower today (who cares, it's friday), thats the difference.
  • "Tomorrow you may expect a good result from me..."

Alright, Robert, I will. Isn't it so much better to be moving forwards, not adrift at the back? Two decent drivers (with a bit of constructive rivalry between em), new tech developments, some signs of commercial activity, no Max vs Stoddart crap, just getting on with business. Great!

We'll draw a discreet veil over car No 40.
  • Any decent Palestinian drivers available?