Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Katrina

Tough times for all those affected down in the south east of the US. Best of luck tothem.

However, I would like to say thanks in advance to all of the countries in our world community who are lining up as we speak with generous offers of assistence. I hear it is SRO.

Thanks also to the legions of rock stars planning concerts and other gala fund raising activities to aidin the relief of these fine, innocent victims of Mother Nature.

Comments

• Mayor Nagin said "we probably have 80 per cent of our city under water [in New Orleans], with some sections of our city the water is as deep as six metres.

"Both airports are under water."

New Orleans is a bowl-like city mostly below sea level and protected by levees or embankments. The levees gave way overnight in places, including a 60 metre breach that allowed the waters to pour into the city centre.

The storm surge was apparently nine metres which broke the levees and swept 1.5 km inshore.

That was some sucker!

Spin
  • My hometown Innsbruck happens to be twinned with New Orleans.

A guy I did national service with had studied there for a year as part of an exchange programme. He is an engineer and one of his professors in New Orleans was in charge of those pumps and levees. He described how close it was to a similar scenario during the last storm which was far from a direct hit. Had to think of that when the storm was approaching. Did you know that the pumps that are continuously pumping water out of the city (even when there is no flood, the city has too much water that it needs to get rid of) are below sea level as well. Makes it a pretty difficult task I guess.
  • The Brothers Brother Charity from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is providing for the victims of Katrina. There web site is........................
    www.brothersbrother.org

A brief overview of the organization is below. My wife & I have donated to BBF in the past and we like the fact that the monies contributed actually provide relief for those who need it.

"BBF, a 47-year old Pittsburgh-based international charity, has provided over $1.5 billion of medical supplies, textbooks, food, seeds and other humanitarian supplies to people around the world in over 120 countries. With the help of gifts from the general public, corporations and the US government, in 2004 BBF sent product contributions totaling more than $226,000,000 (3,125,000 pounds) to those in need in 40 countries including Argentina, Ethiopia, Iraq, Poland and the United States.

Forbes Magazine, the national business periodical, listed Brother's Brother Foundation as the only charity to receive 100% or higher rating in a special issue,
    2005 investment guide charity, Monday, December 13, 2004. The issue lists
    200 charities, rating them on how efficiently they collect and distribute donations.
    Brother's Brother Foundation received 100 % or higher rating in all three evaluating categories. The categories included charitable commitment, donor dependency and fundraising efficiency.
    Donations to assist with shipping costs are greatly appreciated. Credit card donations can be made by calling Brother's Brother Foundation at 412-321-3160; checks should be made out to Brother's Brother Foundation and sent to:
    Brother's Brother Foundation
    1200 Galveston Ave.
    Pittsburgh, PA 15233"

Murph

• What is the count of our foreign friends offering help - do we have an updated count? How about the rock stars? Any concert dates set?
  • There is a concert/event on NBC ,I think, on Friday.

Emmo, it is time to get your perscription refilled....... yes we can forget other countries providing help....but we can do it on our own as we are a fairly well off nation. As I recall, the benefit concerts for the Tsunami victims didn't happen within days of the catastrophe........there will be plenty of benefit events to raise money for rebuilding. I know the Pirates & the Steelers are collecting $ and non-perishables for relief. The music & entertainment "stars" here in the states are planning events as well......from Jazz & bluesmen to rock & country........ BB King to Jimmy Buffet to Neil Young.....

just relax.............

• yes we can forget other countries providing help....
    That was my point - not one person from the board has posted a hey where can I help or our prayers go out to....
    but we can do it on our own
    As usual
    As I recall, the benefit concerts for the Tsunami victims didn't happen within days of the catastrophe
    but the pissing and moaning about the US being stingy did

BTW - my wife confiscated with my meds.
  • There are two very different issues there Quig.

Do people care about suffering and hardship brought about by disaster? Of course they do. Does nationality come into it? Not really. Most people in the world were shocked beyond belief when the towers came down. It was human to the enth degree. They talk of 1,000 pilgrims dead in a stampede in Iraq yesterday. The catastrophe that is Central Africa goes on and on.

Of course we care.

As far as aid is concerned, the offers will be there and most will be officially, but gratefully declined as that is the way of international politics.

Not sure if you should run comparisons with the Tsunami though. Science has provided the means to tell when a Cyclone is comming, and the infrastructure capabilities and disaster planning of modern societies can prevent the worst from happenning in human terms. But when the sea reaches in to the land without warning and takes a half a million to itself; that is mind-numbing.
  • That is all well and good - I just wanted to see how long it took and who would be the first to figure out I was being cynical.

Although if you people are really interested you can go to either the Salovation Army or the Red Cross' web sites and donate time or money.
  • That is all well and good - I just wanted to see how long it took and who would be the first to figure out I was being cynical.
    One of the best ways of hiding your insecurities and not showing your emotions too directly is making jokes and saying afterwards that you were being cynical………(BTW I know all about that).

There is no shame in being crossed that you’re post didn’t get any adequate answers.
    You’re not less a man because of that!
    I think you were right to expect some empathy from the members of this forum you share so much time and opinions with.

I’m not that long over here and I have never met any of you, but yes the mere fact that some of you live in the despicable ;) US of A make me nowadays even more aware of what is happening there. And yes, I do care about the victims of Katrina. My thoughts have been with them a lot the last days.

But Lease is right too. There are so many disasters happening on a daily basis.
    You have to kind of block it to live the sort of happy, not too concerned way of life, most of us selfcentered Westerners do. I feel ashamed about that, but apparently not that much to change it dramatically…..
  • Calm down Quig, of course people are upset and send their sympathy to the victims.

If you really want to talk about money then, as Murph said, the US is believed to be quite well off.
  • Truly awful situation in Nwa Orleans ( note the phonetic spelling). But the bay of Mexico has had around 10 hurricanes/ tropical storms over the past 2 years. Surely that will convince the Bone Head in the Oval Office that Climate change exists and is biting him on the ass. Time also to kill off the gas guzzler mentality so popular staeside.
  • Hear hear!

And yea, I don't know where this "New Orleans" stuff came from. It's 'Nahlins'.
  • simpathy to all concerned.

• Biker - I hope you can get your money back for the self help books or courses or have the ability to sue your shrink for malpractice.

Jello - thanks for that link. It takes some wind out of my sails in a good way.

HOWEVER, it is ironic that the french are offering sympathy considering they were the ones who built the city under the sea level.

Just kidding....

Petrol - I think, and I might be wrong, but hurricanes of this magnatude and frequency occured PRIOR to the introduction of the model T. In addition, we would be hypocrites if , in your terms "the gas guzzler mentality" applies to all of here who are fans of F1.

Viges - stiff upper lip and all that.

Question - when will the shoot on site orders be issued for looters who are taking items OTHER than food/water etc?

Also, my MAIN concern is the integrity of Avery Island - home of the McIlhenny Company makers of the worldfamous Tabasco hotsauce - a mainstay of my diet.

• HOWEVER, it is ironic that the french are offering sympathy considering they were the ones who built the city under the sea level.
    You have to admit the French have a lot to answer for!
  • Biker - I hope you can get your money back for the self help books or courses or have the ability to sue your shrink for malpractice.
    Aah, the denial phase. Lots of work to do still :hehe:
  • Emmet,

I was the first to join in expressing concern about Katrina.

Actually though, a lot of people, myself included, don't like being told to donate.

I gave (probably more than most) after the great tsunami, but only when I knew the people who were going to get some direct help to kids orphaned or left destitute in the worst hit area of Thailand.

Unfortunately there were appeals which raised money that didn't go where it should have. Those who donated to these will probably think twice before doing that again.
    However your suggestions of Salvanation Army and Red Cross are worthy organisations that I respect greatly.

But I expect much of the world will say that the US can look after this itself. America didn't heed the worlds warnings about Bush, or Iraq or global warming.

Our sympathy to the People of N.O. and other areas hit, but we don't trust your leader to spend where its needed.

Spin.

P.S.
    I agree with Petrol. Although the link to global warming may be disputed by some and difficult to prove, those who deny the seriousness of man-made changes to our atmosphere need to understand the forces they are messing with. The arguments to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are scientific and persuasive. The arguments against are shallow, motivated by short term greed and cynical political expediancy.

It sickens me to think that George Bush will try to ride in on this one with taxpayers money and play the hero. Along with others, he should be held accountable for the lack of planning and preparedness that has added to another great city disaster.
  • Pssst! Tobasco sucks!

http://www.franksredhot.com/

Also (fixed):

http://www.kidgasm.com/images/thatsracist.gif

[Edited on 1/9/2005 by Jello_Biafra]
  • PhPNuke sucks too. :(

• Emmett- You are really unbelievable. It's like expecting a benefit concert in the Tenderloin because Larry Ellisons house burned down.

• What the real irony is here is this is our own little taste of Iraq- Lawlessness and a wealth of guns.

• I was the first to join in expressing concern about Katrina.
    Actually whatyou said was "That was some sucker"

Actually though, a lot of people, myself included, don't like being told to donate.
    I never asked you too - did not intend to if implied. I put the names of organizations in my post just for general reference and in case somebody was so inclined. I was mainly referring to Kofi of the glorious UN who claimed that the US was stingy.

Unfortunately there were appeals which raised money that didn't go where it should have.
    True - extremist Islamic groups who used the money for "other" plans

However your suggestions of Salvanation Army and Red Cross are worthy organisations that I respect greatly.
    They do a good job all over the world. Well except for the Islamic world where the cross is replaced by a crescent - they do a good job too.

America didn't heed the worlds warnings about Bush, or Iraq or global warming.
    Under the Bush admin an increase of the retrofitting of the levee's started but due to budget cointstraints it was/is taking longer than it should. But I think New Orleans has been around for WAY longer than Bush and the gang. This is not the first flood that has given New Orleans the business. Also, even if your Kyoto had been implemented and even if the theory that supports it IS correct do you think this hurricane, or one like it , would not have occured?

Our sympathy to the People of N.O. and other areas hit, but we don't trust your leader to spend where its needed.

Spin.
    It sickens me to think that George Bush will try to ride in on this one with taxpayers money and play the hero. Along with others, he should be held accountable for the lack of planning and preparedness that has added to another great city disaster.
    Others? How about this list: Clinton, Bush the first, Regan, Carter, Ford, Nixon,Johnson, Kennedy, leaders of Louisiana throughout time.......does your vitriol apply to THEIR lack of preparationfor a disaster that has been predicted for....damn near as long as NO has been around?

You really need to get over the "All the trouble in the world is caused by GW"

[Edited on 1/9/2005 by MCSF]
  • What kind of 'insurgencies' are shooting at the helicopters ??
  • Schröder und Fischer announced today that they will help the US in every possible way.

But maybe it would be better to press a gun on GW's head and to tell him that he should sign Kyoto....
  • I know it's a bit obvious, but not everyone may know this:

Don't you find it rather bizarre that the band' "Katrina and the waves" most popular album is called walking on water and that her solo-album is called turn the tide??

• Schröder und Fischer announced today that they will help the US in every possible way.
    See - it proves Schroder and Fischer read ForzaMinardi.com and have been shamed into offering assistence.
  • Biker: Assholes would be my guess. The same kind of people who are taking things other than food from stores and the same people that would shoot a national guardsman that is THERE TO HELP THEM. See those helicopters? They're your way out. Since you shot at them you can stay.
  • I guess Schröder and Fischer have other problems than reading ForzaMinardi.com....:hehe:

[May THAT become chancellor?]

[Edited on 1/9/2005 by Homer]
  • I guess the only difference between this and the tsunami last year is that people were warned of this natural disaster.

This planet is a bit of a mess at the minute, when you consider Portugal and Spain have had forest fires aplenty, and Germany has had terrible flooding too.

And the UK? Had a tornado that knocked a few roof tiles off some people's houses in Birmingham...