Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

GRECO!!!!!

Greco - I see you lurking - give us an update man!

You busy keeping bird flu at bay?

Q

Comments

• Ela Greco, pou eisai re?
  • I will try to upload some pictures of me during the service....the thing is i dont know in which server yet....anyway it has been tough, Cyprus is not the place to relax while in military...we were always on a 5 minute alert, which according to the officer in charge would have us running like hell several times a day......though i never really thought about it , i have learned alot about myself , pushed my limits in any way physical and mental....but i am glad its over now, i have to get on with the real life now.....i will miss the boys and the laughs we had, i will miss field training and the big exercises which were absolutely great fun......will miss my apc ( it was a G-127 leonidas, austrian design, greek made) and the crew, we made amzing stuff with this vehicle....

now its time i get a real job, with some good money cause i left a i girl in Cyprus and i really have to go and see her soon ;)
    (its always about a girl , isnt it)
  • Malaka!:hehe::D
  • ^ :hehe:
  • Greco - didn't I predict the things you would learn to love .... well you had the chick thing sorted before you left.
  • ......will miss my apc ( it was a G-127 leonidas, austrian design, greek made) and the crew, we made amzing stuff with this vehicle....
    Is this the one ???

• yeap...though this is the first version aka leonidas 1.....mine was the newer version leonidas 2, the most notable change in the two versions is that leo2 has two rows of smoke launchers, one on each side of the not at the back like leo1.....i dont know where i can upload the photos.....help anyone?
  • Get yourself a photobucket account:-

http://www.photobucket.com/

:D:cool:
  • ok cheers jumpey...i uploaded some pics...

thats was my leonidas 2, you can see some of the differences i was telling you about

this one is for Emmet...when i saw this toolbox in the service division of my unit i couldnt believe my eyes..Minardi is everywhere...forza!!!!!!

me and a mate of mine in the field before we set out to recon an enemy camp...just an exercise, was really cool set at night, i had a sniper scope in my rifle thats why my jockey is turned around...:P

aaa...greek easter in the army...see what you are missing TasM?

first day training for seargent....lasted a month which was hell

last day of training thank god...

convoy going to an exercise

[Edited on 27/10/2005 by GrecoMinardi]

• Look like a whole bunch of fun Greco. Makes me want to go back in!
  • Look like a whole bunch of fun Greco. Makes me want to go back in!
    .............................................................................................
  • my word, Greco from which museum did they get this gun:hehe:
  • Emmet it was good while it lasted...no more...

Come on RJ .....you know the thing about a man and his gun...its a G3A4 bit heavy, ok, 7,62mm , but its easy to maintain, can handle the beatting from the greek sholdier, and its really aquarate man, really aqurate....

• We call it the HK 91 - I have one on my collection albeit not a full auto version. Actually due to California laws it is in another State but every once in a while I get to go push a few rounds down range - and it IS very accurate.

Even with me pulling the trigger.
  • Easter looks good ;). That rifle looks a lot like the one I trined with in the Australian army many years ago. We used an Austrian made 7.62mm SLR until it was phased out for the Styer 5.56mm

We shall see if it's my turn in the Hellenic Army next year.

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by TasM]
  • Greco, glad you made it out alive mate. You must be missing the good parts of it pretty bad, I'm still stuck in a bloody HQ unti at the moment and I miss being out with the lads and the exercises. Back to a unit next January, can't wait, it has to be better than this HQ crap. If it ain't, it might be time to pull the pin I think.

RJ, I'm surprised at you. Didn't they teach you the difference between a rifle and a gun??? :spank:

Drop and give me twenty......... ;) Sorry just trying out my new SGT powers. :(

Tas, wasn't the SLR Belgian? I though it was made by FN? 7.62mm and whole lot a more rifle than the plastic thing we play around with now. Damn sight easier to maintain in the field as well.
  • FN FAL - the right arm of freedom!
  • we got many FN FAL also......similar design with the G3....emmet how do you call the HK-11 , its our standard team support sub machine gun kind of like your minimi, isnt it?

as for the new army rifle in around a year time they will have concluded the evaluation of the final offers...probably is going to be some home made version of the m-16....had the chance to play with it for a couple of weeks...cool but i still prefer the G3, seemed more solid....
  • Yeah Oz, your right the SLR was Belgian.

I agree with you about the SLR, it is much more of a weapon that the the newbie. Just having them was a deterent for potential enemy to engage. I think it was the Noth Viet. soliders that said they would purposely keep away and avoid engagement with the 'Men with long rifle'. They learnt quickly that if you got hit by one of our SLR's you wouldn't be getting up again, unlike the smaller rounds of an M-16.

On the positive side of the Styer, it has better range, accuracy, is lighter and the recoil is measured and easy to manage. I remeber converting the SLR to fully auto (with a matchstick). That was impossible to aim right. If you were shooting for shit, you wouldn't get a sniff!
  • Remember fellas - the .223 Remmington (M16/AR - 15 ) round was designed to wound not kill. It takes 2 - 3 men off the battlefield to deal with the one wounded PLUS all of the medical support yadda yadda that is required.

However, I like the full size NATO round myself and have enjoyed the M1A1, SLR as well as the HK - not to mention the standard Remmington 700's that push that round down range.

The Soviet equivalent - actually it is more akin to the 30 - 06 is the 7.62 X 54 - as used in the Druganov.
  • The old match stick in the triger sear trick. Did this once and got sat on my arse. hehehe Had a crack with an L1A2(auto version) once, man that was cool. was raining lightly and the raindrops sizzling and steaming off the barrel was very distracting, but again, very cool. And you could pinch rounds off the bloke carrying the "60" if you needed.

The Styer(OZ version) only really has the advantage in accuracy because of the optical sight, I'd love to have had the same sights built on to the SLR, also, fully loaded/slung Styer weighs as much as the SLR. Biggest advantage is that you can carry more ammo, because of the smaller rounds. But it just don't feel right.

Only reason we didn't buy the M-16/A2 was because Colt wouldn't sign a manufacturing license over to the OZ Govt. So again we get sub-standard kit for political reasons. BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spank:
  • OZ - get this...the US mainly has FN built 16's these days!
  • The old match stick in the trigger sear trick.
    Hehehe, yep that's the one.

Just remember guys, I'm a pacifist, you can tell by my well oiled machine gun!
  • "the US mainly has FN built 16's these days!"

You're kidding!!!!!! :o

I remember being told many years ago the French made blanks(black plastic ones)we used in the SLR, used to eventually get a build up of plastic inside the barrel, and eventually you'd get a small ball of plastic fire out through the BFA attached to the end of the barrel. Well we were on a night ex and a small raiding party turned up for some fun. As we were sitting quietly in amongst the bush we could hear them walking up. All of a sudden all hell broke loose and a couple of shots rang out to our right, through sheer reflex I turned and let off two rounds. The secong one just happened to be the time the small,hot, plastic ball came out of the barrel and hit a Flight SGT(approx E-8 equiv for you Quig) and hit him right in the arse. He screamed, and I shit myself because I thought I'd actually shot the bastard(thinking somebody had mistakenly put a live round in with the blanks).

They called a stop to the games at that point and he came over and with the help of a torch we had a look at the fire engine red, 3/4 inch wide welt on his arse. He screamed out wanting the name of the "stupid prick", or words to that effect, who'd shot him. I put my hand up, and he roared blue bloody murder at me.

It was probably a mistake at that time, to point out that it was his fault as he'd been my DI on the range and was the one who taught me to shoot in the first place. Needless to say that his opinion on that matter differed to mine and he won the argument.

I still giggle about it now. I'll never forget that scream though. :hehe:
  • Oz, was he within 15m? we were told not to fire the rifle closer than 15m. Ususally we would engage a lot further away that that so it was never a problem.

But that is funny :hehe:
  • Mate he had to be no more than about 10-12m away at the time, but we'd been told to aim high no matter what distance we thought they might be. They'd been trying to sneak into the middle of our position and create havoc from the inside wanting to see how we'd react. Thanks to my reaction, they never got that far, and didn't come back at night after that. Worked out pretty well I thought. The whole thing was pure relfex, and funny as f#*k. That was 19 years ago and I still remember it plain as day.