Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Scott Speed

Talk about emotional turmoil - how much will the Yanks on this website be cheering on their boy next year, assuming he is with Squadra Tosso?

Comments

• I am taking a wait and see on him. But I rarely get worked up over any particular driver.
  • But I rarely get worked up over any particular driver.
    Unless he's a commie :hehe:
  • Wasn't real impressed with Mr. Speed at USGP this year..... but I'm not one to follow someone just because we have nationality in common.

Now I was a UOP Shadow fan, firstly through the CanAm and then f1. I also liked McLaren back in the '70's when it had a Yank tint ( Teddy Mayer, Tyler Alexander, Peter Revson......and runing in CanAm, Indy 500, and f1) but once Uncle Ron bought it and destroyed its soul, I bailed. I have also been a fan of Matra/Ligier and also Ferrari....... it is the Irish in me but not a big fan of the roast beefs....... respect English teams & drivers, yes.....just no love.

as for individual drivers......When I first started to attend GP's in the early '70's I met briefly a backmarker at Mosport Park in 1972 when I snuck into the pits.....and decided to follow him......his name was Niki Lauda. In the past 3 decades I've been very impresed with all the drivers, but I have been a fan of Niki (March), Ronnie (March), Elio (Shadow), St. Gilles (Ferrari), Nige (Lotus), Michael (Benetton), Fred (Minardi), Kimi (Sauber), and Felipe (Sauber). I have had a soft spot also for Jacques (Lafitte), Clay, Lole, Jumper (Jarier), Jacky (Ickx), and Patrick Tambay.

So Viges...... no emotional turmoil from this Yank as far as Mr. Speed is concerned..............
  • He's thinks a lot of himself, that's for sure.
  • Murph, funny how losing soul/gaining championships go hand in hand! Am I correct in thinking Marlboro backed the coup at McLaren to get shot of Teddy?

It is my patriotic duty to support Williams and McLaren against the red hordes - much more the former than the latter but I can't see them coming back any time soon, unless Cossie play a blinder on the V8. Despite Frog ownership, I also have a soft spot for Renault and they are based near Williams in Oxfordshire.

Enjoyed Jordan's successes but never really bought into Jag, let alone Red Bull. Lotus and Tyrrell were biggies, obviously. Arrows never that bothered. Soft spot for Ligier too, what is it with those Frenchies?!

However, nothing can replace Minardi.
  • Viges

You are correct..... Marlboro threw their considerable weight to Uncle Ron's MP4 team forcing Mr. Mayer out at McLaren. I do recall McLaren having won a few championships during the days when they were the "good guys"..... Emmo & James in f1..... domination in CanAm before the Porsche Panzer showed up....and McLarens were the car to have when winning the Indy 500 back when that race was a biggie (not like now)...... sooooooo, one doesn't have to lose their soul to become a winner.......

A question for you.... how can anyone who sez he is a supporter of Minardi, and remembers how Ron Dennis (along with Frank.....and even Eddie became Judas) shit all over Paul at Montreal a couple of years ago, can be a supporter of McLaren???????? I am not talking about the drivers here.... (I am a fan of Kimi....I just want to see him escape the "dark side".......) I hope it's something more substantial than that " Patriotic Duty" song and dance........................'sigh

And just to be on the safe side..... I have already packed a lighter for Spa & Monza in 2006, and I don't smoke........ if ya get my drift..........

ciao

• Terrorist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pyromaniac - I keep telling you, it will be the Faenza standard flying, not the Woking warflag.

Ho hum, I seem to remember more recently than Montreal than Frank and Ron actually stood up for Stoddie and he thanked them for it. We are still waiting for the low down of what happened that weekend in Canada, it is certainly not black and white.

Ron may be a little odd (even in uptight English terms) but a bad man that makes him not. Yes, he is ultra-competitive but he does not cheat + he allows his racers to race (which separates the 1988 season from 2002 or '04).

I understand that Hollywood likes its villains to have English accents (Sanders, Irons, Hopkins*, Rickman, Berkoff, etc., etc.) but not all of us are evil. We don't care, of course, what you peasants think but just for the record ...

*obviously I know Sir Anthony is Welsh but Lecter's accent wasn't.

PS I think it's clear Minardi is my first love but that is over (for the time being?) so I have to cheer someone else on.

[Edited on 30/10/2005 by viges]
  • Ho hummmmmmmmmmmm

I seem to remember Jerez in 1997 when a certain RD ordered one of his drivers (DC) to pull over and let another one of his drivers (MH) pass him to win his first GP on the next to last lap........ and that is after that certain RD made an agreement with Frank W not to have his drivers get involved in the Jacques-Michael race even though the McLaren was the fastest f1 car at both Jerez and the previous race in Suzuka.....

Interesting note about the 1988 season... McLaren did provide equal cars to both Ayrton & Prost....... Honda though admitted a couple of years ago that Ayrton was given the more powerfull engines......

and for the record, just because Uncle Ron is a prick, I wouldn't even think to put all English peoples in that category..... Ste, Minardirule, and Matt are prime examples of Englishmen that I have met who are outstanding human beings.... I also hope that those on the forum do not judge all us Yanks as F-ing assholes based on "W", Dick Cheney, FOX News, the IRL, McDonalds, the KKK, Michael Jackson, Sly Stalone movies, Pepsi, and Michael Andretti...................

• Talk about emotional turmoil - how much will the Yanks on this website be cheering on their boy next year, assuming he is with Squadra Tosso?
    What emotional turmoil? Assuming he gets the race seat, he'll be the first American driver in years...It's unfortunate that Red Bull won't just give us the name we so dearly adore, but I'd be pulling for him even if he ran for a team named "Scuderia Communist Satanist Subliminal Tobacco Advertisment F1".

The long and short of it...should he be on the grid, I'll be at Indy next season flying the American flag.

[Edited on 11/5/2005 by ThunderboltSeven]
  • That was beautiful Murph. This discussion is over.
  • Is that how you end discussions? How sweet.

Murph - Jerez was a wrong but I don't believe the 1988 stuff, even if Alain does.
  • Are you honestly defending Ron Dennis..? :rolleyes:
  • As opposed to dishonestly?
  • Mr. Kawamoto, the chairman of Honda during the 1988 season, has been quoted as confirming Prosts' belief that Ayrton had the Honda "advantage"..... If you look at Honda's history in the 80's, they have always favored one driver over his team mate...... and the drivers have complained about the unfair treatment...... The best example of this is how Honda totally screwed Frank Williams when they (Honda) took Williams engine contract and gave it to Lotus (and Honda's new fair-haired boy). The reason for Honda's action....they were pissed that Frank had not shown favortism to Honda's "man" at Williams....Nelson Piquet... and in Honda's eyes this had cost Honda a WDC in '85 when Prost won when Nige's tire blew. Even though Nelson won the championship in '86, Honda broke their contract with Williams and gave the Honda engines to their new boy (Senna) at Lotus. Later, when McLaren continued to give Prost & Senna equal machinery, Honda made sure the battle wasn't totaly equal...... best example was at Monza where Ayrton had pole by almost 2 seconds over Prost...... Ayrton was a faster driver.....but not by 2 seconds at any circuit, let alone Monza where 2 seconds ususally covered the grid. The rumour at the time was that Uncle Ron even had a word with Honda that they were making it too obvious....... Honda then reminded Uncle Ron on just who provided the engines to his team. Later when Suzuka 1 happened, many journo's were pretty surprised (and dismayed) on just how vehemently Ron protested Ayrton's DQ that resulted in Prost's clinching the championship with still one race remaining. Ya might not like to believe it........but alot more people then Mr. Prost believed it before Mr. Kawamoto came clean...........

• Interesting, I stand corrected. I think it shows Darth, sorry, Ron, in quite a good light.
  • As opposed to dishonestly?
    I was kind of hoping that you're taking the piss.
  • hmm,, So, ah, what, ah , happened to the conversation about Scott Speed? When we met him in Indy last yer he seemed accesible enough. Unlike some other driver's whom I have observed doing some rather two faced expressions once the back was turned.