Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Doornbos rumor and interview

Interview here:
http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=1&nid=122498

Rumor on Grandprix.com:
There are rumours in Japan that Robert Doornbos is soon to be named as the third driver of one of the two Red Bull teams. The suggestion we have heard is that this will be with the main team, where his experience will be more valuable. Doornbos, remember, raced for Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner in Formula 3000, as team mate to Tonio Liuzzi in 2004. The man who was thought to be the most likely test driver was Switzerland's Neel Jani but he has no racing experience in F1 and has done only a few tests in recent years with Sauber. Jani may thus end up as the test driver for Squadra Toro Rosso. It is still to be officially announced who will drive for which Red Bull team beyond the fact that David Coulthard will lead the main team. Scott Speed is expected to be with Squadra Toro Rosso and the two other drives will go to either Christian Klien or Tonio Liuzzi. The choice remains controversial as some feel that Liuzzi has more potential while others say that Klien proved his worth in 2005. There is merit to both arguments but one has to add that Klien had a lot more chances - and has more experience - than Liuzzi.

Doornbos is known to be on the list of test drivers for Williams and it may be that he decides that this is a better option in the long-term. Williams is expected to announce a partnership with Toyota for 2007 and beyond and being part of the team might not be such a bad idea.Doornbos and Red Bull?

Comments

• Doornbos is talking about a testcontract with a topteam. I think he is talking about Williams and he thinks he will test soon with this topteam.
    If Williams is still a topteam is a total different discussion. :(
  • IMHO RD goes RB. Horner was RD's former f3000 boss. Part of the deal will be that Mueremans will stay on as sponsor for STR.
  • Knobbie already signed a 2-year deal for Red Bull, he did a seatfitting last wednesday (in Faenza) and will test next wednesday for Red Bull in Barcelona.

Pressconference should be on tuesday...
  • I think I read somewhere that either Kartikeyhan or Kiesa are going to test for Williams.
  • According to F1racing.net he did the seatfitting at Red Bull :
    Last Wednesday former Minardi driver Robert Doornbos fitted a seat at the Red Bull factory F1Racing.net can reveal exclusively. The Dutchman will be testing for the Red Bull F1 team in Barcelona on Wednesday. If he will impress the team he has a chance to win a racing seat at Red Bull.

Doornbos started the 2005 season as Jordan's reserve and Friday driver until the German Grand Prix. At the German Grand Prix he replaced Patrick Friesacher at Minardi as he suffered from budget problems at the Italian team.
  • RD will test on Tuesday and Thursday for RB in Barca.
  • Robert Doornbos To Join Red Bull Racing For 2006
    11.29.05 - Red Bull Racing announced today that Robert Doornbos will join the team for 2006. As the team’s test and reserve driver, the 24-year-old will fulfil Friday driving duties for Red Bull Racing during the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Doornbos is not new to Red Bull. In 2004 the young Dutchman drove alongside Tonio Liuzzi as part of Christian Horner’s Arden team and participated in the F3000 International Championship in a Red Bull branded car. Taking victory in Spa and finishing third overall in his debut season, Robert was crowned ‘Rookie of the Year’, before rounding off 2004 by fulfilling test driver duties for the Jordan Formula one team at the last three races.

After a promising season in 2005, where he performed as third driver for Jordan-Midland and as a race driver for Minardi-Cosworth (for the last eight races of the year), Robert will join Red Bull Racing for 2006.

Sporting Director Christian Horner said, “Having served his apprenticeship in Formula 1 this year, Robert will perform an important role for Red Bull Racing as its third driver. Robert demonstrated natural speed and a very real hunger to win when I worked with him in 2004 and I’m very happy to renew our working relationship. This is an excellent opportunity for him.”

Robert Doornbos said, “It’s fantastic to be joining Red Bull Racing. Not only are they the team of the moment, but the way that they’re developing the technical side of things and the motivation of the team is very promising for the future. I’m aiming to learn as much as possible to get to the top of the sport, and I think I’m in the right place to be able to do that.”

Robert’s first experience in a Cosworth-powered RB1 will occur today, when he participates in the first day of the team’s three-day test in Barcelona. Christian Klein will drive the team’s second car. On Wednesday, Christian and David Coulthard will drive for the team, while Robert and David will complete the test on Thursday.

Following Red Bull’s purchase of Minardi earlier this year, Scott Speed will now join Red Bull’s newest team, Scuderia Toro Rosso. His exact role in the team will be confirmed in the near future.
  • Congratulations Robert!!

[Edited on 29/11/2005 by Rime]
  • Well done to our boys in getting new seats. At this rate, Bobby will have driven for every team by 2008!

Which reminds me, I spoke with him at the Red Bull party in London before the Brit GP - you may remember I asked him about the Minardi rumours. Clever lad, building bridges with Horner even then.