Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

MINARDI MEMORIES

WE NEED YOU ...

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/1985.jpg

BEFORE THE YEAR IS OUT ...

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/1991.jpg

BEFORE A GREAT NAME FAILS TO MAKE THE GRID ...

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/webbostod.jpg

TO GIVE US YOUR MINARDI MEMORIES.

THE GOOD ...

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content/phil12.jpg

THE BAD ...

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2005/chi/f1-2005-chi-xp-0641.jpg

AND THE UGLY ...

http://www.forzaminardi.com/images/content2/pitvisitimol2.jpg

1) First Minardi memory?

2) First F1 memory?

3) Favourite Minardi memory?

4) Worst Minardi memory?

5) Funniest Minardi memory?

6) GCM or PLM?

7) Favourite ForzaMinardi bust up?

In the certain knowledge that you will anyway, feel free to add any questions.

Comments

• 1) hmm, it would have to be PLM battling but can't date it.

2) watching Gilles, James, Niki and co. with my Dad on a Sunday afternoon. He usually fell asleep.

3) It has to be Albert Park 2002. SuperRoo and the good Doctor were there too. Strewth! Pass me a Carlton ...

4) Luca's tears at Nurburg.

5) Avon tyres anyone? Maybe plastic cups for the fizz at Indy.

6) PLM

7) Dear, dear Doddy.

I reserve the right to change some answers as I have only just thought up the questions!
  • 1st Minardi Memory
    PLM leading the Portuguese GP in 1989 - Short but incredibly sweet.

1st F1 Memory
    Jim Clarke at Indy winning the 500 in 1965. I was 7 years old and my dad took me to Indy to see the great man. (Ok maybe not F1 but NBT)

Fav Minardi Memory
    Easy Minardi Fest 2005!

Worst Memory
    The day the Red Bull deal was announced

Funniest
    Again the Minardifest 05 and Emmets coming out of the closet along with Jello's extrodinary drinking skills!

GCM of course!

Fav bust up?
    Has to be the Stoddie comments. I still think he sucked!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 4/12/2005 by Ger]
  • 1) First Minardi memory?
    GCM EXULTING THE FIRST TIME HE GOT 2 CARS IN THE POINTS
    2) First F1 memory?
    PIRONI'S ACCIDENT
    ME JUMPING ON THE SOFA AT NIGHT WHEN WEBBER FINISHED 5TH IN MELBOURNE
    ... AND MINARDIFEST 2005, OF COURSE.
    4) Worst Minardi memory?
    BADOER'S TEARS
    MR QUIGLEY'S HISTORICAL SENTENCE: MAN, YOU DID THE MESS, YOU CLEAN
    ... AND CANOCH'S ACCIDENT WITH ALBERS (THAT WAS EXTRAORDINARY)
    6) GCM or PLM?
    GCM
    AND THEN PLM
    WHAT'S A BUST UP?
  • Looks like I'm going down in Minardi history. :rolleyes:

1. The midget bastard ditching it at Spa

2. A Jordan Honda turning into a bug sprayer. 2002?

3. MinardiFest 2005

4. Red Bull's rape and pillage act

5. Probably Christijan sitting in the car, turning the steering wheel lock to lock and making engine noises. Edit: Fittipaldi's somersalt was a bit of a chuckle too.

6. PLM over GCM Simon? Hmm. PLM is a close second but nobody can beat GCM in my book.

7 Unsure.

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by Jello_Biafra]
    Buggered if I know!

2) First F1 memory?
    Senna, Spin!, Spin!, Spin!

Webber running in 5th with few laps left and Coulthard (?) catching up damn fast only to lose it on his own.

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    Finding out the Red Bull rumours were true.

Finnally getting a knock-off 2005 team shirt off ebay, only to find out what a european extra large sizing is :hehe:

6) GCM or PLM?
    GCM

SteVefan or Matt....? Don't make me choose :(

[Edited on 4/12/2005 by Clown]
  • Too many!

Just had alook at one of our finest souvenirs while stashing some beer away for a future celebration.

Yeah, Viges, Melbourne was up there among the highlights.

Spin
  • salvo, 'bust-up' = argument. You know, the threads that get to four pages long and only finally fizzle out when everyone gets bored.

mhmh,.... can't recall.

2) First F1 memory?
    Häkkinen gets WTC in 1999.

Mark Webber - Australia 2002!

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    STR :(

Stoddie crashing the two-seater, Avalon.

6) GCM or PLM?
    GCM

war on Iraq....
    Pierluigi at Canadian GP 1985

2) First F1 memory?
    Gilles Villeneuve's fatal crash.

Pierluigi second on grid in Phoenix '90. And the team's performance at Nuerburgring '99. And Fittipaldi's somersault at Monza '93. And Zsolt's point at Indy '04.

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    The end.

Albers and Friesacher both stuck on the grid in 2005.

6) GCM or PLM?
    Well, I think GCM, PLM and Rumi are one and three, like somebody else.

The "Autosprint" discussion with Quig on the Italian version of this forum (in English).

[Edited on 4/12/2005 by manlio27]
  • 1) De Cesaris out without enough fuel to finish the race, gets into top six, Motori Moderni burns up at shock of going so fast, Brazil '86

2) Lauda and Hunt, '76.

3) Silverstone '89 - unbelievable to watch, despair and triumph in the same day, PLMs finest hour.

4) Silverstone '04 - slow car, crap drivers, pathetic. Not racing at all.

5) Badoer, Nurburgring '99. Hilarious - well, you had to laugh or else you'd...

6) Yes

7) "Dilettante" - but Petrol was right, in the end, harsh but correct. Or the one where TheDriver went back and found all Petroltorque's predictions that didn't come true. Or Matt's sulk. Or anything to do with TDW. Or Yoong vs Webber (!)

Ah, the memories...
  • 1. 2000 USGP, this one stand out the most because I was looking through the binoculars at the Minardi pitstop just as Mazzacane plowed into the crew.

2. Going to the Canadien GP in 1997, started watching in '96, but don't remember too much.

3. Webber's 5th and also Zsolt's point last year.

4. Badoer at Nurburgring '99

5. Nissany running into Albers

6. GCM

7. unsure
  • thanx simon
    I'd say the invasion of vfans... that was weird
    The yellow telephonica cars. From there it was love at first sight.

2) First F1 memory?
    Prost crashing in front of me at the 89 Adelaide GP. At least I think that was the year. Memory was never that good, but it was outside the pub chicane.

Mark Webber - Australia 2002. Ran onto the track and was going ballistic. What a final few laps with Mika Salo!!

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    Losing our identity to STR.

Nothing that stands out.

6) GCM or PLM?
    GCM

nothing that springs to mind.
  • Great thread, great reading! Ok my turn:

1) First Minardi memory?
    Nurburgring 1999 and Badoer

2) First F1 memory?
    practice session at Monaco 1994

Melbourne 2002 - first race during which Jos was not the reason that I was dozing off in front of my TV. I actually started to follow Minardi closely after that.

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    Brazil 2003 - Jos should have won that one :(
    That was the worst day for me in my whole F1-watching career...

France 2003 friday
    special mention: China 2004 and Bruni's radio talk with Stoddy :hehe:

6) GCM or PLM?
    GCM
    edit: this isn't really a choice for me as I only know the PLM days from the internet

Stoddy debates

[Edited on 4/12/2005 by Fox_Mulder]
  • 1) trulli at aus 1997
    2) hill breaking down on the parade lap at aus 1997
    3) aus 2002/usa 2000
    4) badoer nurburgring 1999
    5) the flying twoseater
    6) GCM
    7) too many to choose from.
  • 1) Minardi makes it to the grid, Melbourne 2001

2) Shumacher vs Senna at Monaco, 1992(?)

3) Salo spins catching Webber Melbourne, 2002, (also the rollout of the PS05...)

4) TDW slides out of Brazil, 2003 (... or Nissany!, or PS at Melboune, 2005)

5) Stoddy takes the concorde agreement to the team owners press conference and trashes the big team bosses.

6) GCM (... or PS?)

7) That 13yr dutch vfan that had all the veterans of the list running for the bunkers, lucky he got banned... or then Matt changing to stoddiebasher, groaning over the rise and fall of JW, eating his hat re: webber, etc, etc.

so many to choose from in a rich history of struggle.

[Edited on 4/12/2005 by max_torq]
    Making it to the Oz GP in 2001, but also the nasty 2000 Telephonica livery which made me first notice Minardi.

2) First F1 memory?
    There is the Hill-Schumacher collision at Adelaide, but the one that sticks out the most is the carnage at Spa in 1998 just after the start.

Without question the Oz GP in 2002 when we actually competed for some points against other teams along with the large slice of luck we usually rely on. Justin Wilsons fantastic starts in 2003, the new car (waited long enough!). Getting a provisional pole after first qualifying!

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    Saying goodbye.

Seeing a classic clip of the end of the Monza race in 1993, when Fittipaldi did a complete flip and finished the race.

Not been a member long enough on FM.com, but thought PS vs Dennis at Montreal wasnt bad.
  • First Minardi Memory - Hard to say when really. The only thing that comes to mind is Murray Wlaker carping on about pay drivers, and Minardi was often mentioned.

First F1 Memory - '79 when F1 started getting regular coverage on Oz TV. Up till then, one relied on very rare docuimentaries. The only other way to get at it was the Tasman series. This happenned during the sixties after the regular F1 season finished. Some of the drivers would come over and race in both Oz and NZ. Wish I'd seen that!

Favourite Minardi Memory - I'd go with the Flying Giraffe's early starts. They were memorable because we weren't really expecting anything, and there he was in 12th after two laps. Added hope during a very low period

Worst Minardi Memory - Brazil 2002? Realising just how good the result could have been.

Funniest Minardi Memory - Alex crashing on his pit entrance at Nurburgring. Sorry John/Hannifah, but I did giggle at that one.

GCM or PLM - Give us a break! Mr. Minardi can stand behind Ken Tyrell, Bruce Mclaren, Jack Brabham, Sir Frank, even bloody Walter Wolf and a host of others (but not behind Enzo, or Judas). PLM

Favourite Minardi Bust-Up - Oh, too many, too many. Yes there was Doddy, but any of the Stoddy debates, the Sawbones pulling his membership, and then re-joining, Matt's marvelous principled pull-out, the Gazprom sponsorship debate between Junior and Fifi, the orange hordes, it goes on
    Webber's fifth place - love at first sight

2) First F1 memory?
    The six-wheel March in my Scalextric catalogue

Jointly:
    * Webber on the podium
    * Jos and JW one and two in pre-qualifying
    * The 'John Boy' livery - proof there's room for humanity, even in F1

4) Worst Minardi memory?
    Jointly:
    * The moment our cars swept past the pit-lane at Indianapolis and I realised we were going to join Jordan and Ferrari in the farcical USGP, uncompetitive even in a six-car race
    * PR photos with Jorg Haider
    * Albers stopped on the circuit at Monaco, broadside on to the racing line, while the rest of the field drew to a halt in front of him - didn't we just look a bunch of amateurs that day?

Stoddard driving an electrified airliner chair around his warehouse to give Louise Goodman a guided tour

6) GCM or PLM?
    PLM was before my time... GCM too really

I hate all bust-ups, sorry - they're not why I come here. However, I did enjoy Neil's annual insistance, in the teeth of disbelief, indifference and reality, that Malta would win Eurovision.
  • Lease, thank-you. People don't get the PLM thang. Fools.
  • "2) Shumacher vs Senna at Monaco, 1992(?)"

That was Mansell Vs Senna!!! Don't take away our Nige's great charge to try and win his 6th race on the trot!

But anywa,y whilst I remove the Union Jack flagpole from my buttocks, my Minardi memories..

1) First Minardi memory?

Seeing Fisichella clout Nakano in Spa 98 and knocking down 30 road cones with his nearly-detached right front wheel before a barrier knocked it off for him. Well, it's my first memory that involves a Minardi.

2) First F1 memory?

Hill winning the title in 1996. Then failing to do much in the arrows (yet unbelieveably almost winning in hungary- possibly his greatest achievement in one race)

Melbourne 2002, thanks to the added pressure from Salo's Toyota closing in at 5 seconds a lap, only to see Salo spin with three laps to go!

4) Worst Minardi memory?

Learning that Minardi really could have won Brazil 2003. I've seen pics of the race that show Verstappen ahead of Fisichella. A podium was a certainty had he continued.

Mansell crashing into the back of Alonso in the first two-seater race, leading to Stoddart (with all four wheels on the grass) to cross the line first, in front of a bemused Tony Jardine.

6) GCM or PLM?

Sorry PLM, but it's GCM. PLM is before my time really, but doesn't stop me appreciating the work both these gentlemen did.

The Ashes thread.

Mika Hakinan struggling to overtake Gaston in the rain.

2) First F1 memory?

Nige's Championship year.

Zsolt's well deserved single point in indianapolis. (a reward for tenacity)

4) Worst Minardi memory?

The sell out

6) GCM or PLM?

In the certain knowledge that you will anyway, feel free to add any questions.