Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Alonso to McLaren

Comments

• I just read it. Incredible it's already been made public.

Kimi to Ferrari then?
  • I should think so. Schumi to retire.
  • A good move by McLaren.

That was their best way to stop TOIT drumming up Fernando!

I DO have trouble picturing Kimi at TOIT, unless they paint the car grey or ice blue and employ Finns and translators.

Pablo perhaps. Roll on March '06. There's a lot of laps before the Swervemaker moves over.

Spin
  • wow !!!!!!
    This news causes one to pause....and then start to wonder......

What does Flavio "really" know about Renaults commitment to F1 ???? He is Fred's manager....... yet he has Fred go to "Uncle Ron ????

Does this mean we will see a Shuey vs JPM WDC battle ??? Uncle Ron will not want to see Kimi win the WDC and then take the #1 to Ferrari (as did Prost).......

What will be Renaults' / Fred's / Flavio"s motivation for 2006 especially if Renault is preparing to leave F1 in the future ?........

Also, Michelin has had a special relationship with Renault AND this is Michelin's swan song as well......... And for McLaren..... besides the Kimi unrest....add the Michelin "problem",(remember how Goodyear's last year in F1 / slowdown on development helped Mika earn his first WDC)........ there are the rumours that their excellent test driver (Wurz) is out (this begs the question.... IF Kimi is leaving and JPM is not known for his testing/development prowess, is de la Rosa really THE answer ???)..... Do we see Jarno (and Ralf) become real players in the WDC chase ??? and there is Button & Rubinho as well...........

and then P1 can dream about Webber... and I can hallucinate about Massa....... 2006 looks like it has a lot of possibilities......

Hey Ger and Emmo, Monza and Spa are looking better and better...............

[Edited on 19/12/2005 by Murph]
  • I wonder if Renault will turn down Alonso's revs a few times next year.... 'save the engine' ;)

Hey, BMW seemed to be doing it to Webber and Heidfeld a lot this year, maybe Mercedes will get their revenge? :hehe:

[Edited on 20/12/2005 by MinardiP1]
  • Wow Alonso to Mac ( GCM's Fav team ....Not I quote " Dennis came storming by my pit wall at Mugello. If I wasn't held back then perhaps there wouldn't be a Ron Dennis now." Gian Carlo Minardi May 1987)

Oh roll on next season and Spa/ Monza

[Edited on 21/12/2005 by Ger]
  • I cant believe its been announced so early!! :spank:

This could hurt Alonso defending his championship.
    Renault will have to cut Alonso out of technical briefings as the season goes on. to prevent him taking ideas to maclaren.
  • how will i manage to support fernando on the car i've always hated?
  • A total bolt from the blue!!! Wasn't expecting this.

I agree that Schumacher will probably retire if he doesnt win the championship this year paving the way for Kimi to go to Ferrari.
  • Interesting idea from Grandprix.com:
    Fernando Alonso's negotiations with McLaren will almost certainly have involved his manager Flavio Briatore. At the very least Alonso could be expected to have had to inform his manager that talks were taking place with the Woking team. There is, after all, a contract between driver and manager and Briatore's management company presumably takes a percentage of Alonso's earnings. Thus Alonso could hardly do a deal without Briatore having known about it.

In the circumstances, in his other role as chief executive of the Renault F1 Team, Briatore ought to have been aware of an offer from McLaren and thus would either have to ignore that information (which would not have gone down well with his employers) or make an effort to convince Alonso to stay where he is.

And that means that either Renault was not willing to match the offer from McLaren, or that Alonso preferred to move despite the fact that Renault was offering the same deal. Neither of which is very flattering for the French company.
    hhhmmmmmm
  • Well, I can understand his decision :)

http://www.f1total.com/news/images/11773.jpg

"I became World Champion for Renault and all I got is this lousy tickling cap for Christmas..."

[Edited on 19/12/2005 by bladerunner]
  • I cant believe its been announced so early!! :spank:

This could hurt Alonso defending his championship.
    Renault will have to cut Alonso out of technical briefings as the season goes on. to prevent him taking ideas to maclaren.
    But if the renault pull out is true then, they would want a high note end, the same as michelin, so there will be no development knowledge worries if renault clsoe down operations or sell off to Prodrive.

The announcement of renault possibly pulling out will be made in feb, so alonso has done the best deal for himself, where renault would still have been considered in play by rivals.

• Wither Renault??
  • And nobody to blame but themselves. with Ghosn refusing to commit to a long term F! future, FA had very little choice.
  • Quite - see Murray Walker's comments on the front page, made one week before Alonso defected.
  • i think it'll be kimi and alonso. JPM to leave F1.
  • Whats this Garry Paffett Big Mac test driver thing then. Interesting.
  • It would seem to be a pretty big deal, as he's quitting DTM to focus on the role. Paffett/Alonso/Hamilton in 2007? Not bad.
  • Shove Giancarlo Minardi and Nigel Mansell on as team bosses and you're then talking my dream team :D

Oh, and me as PR manager, whilst I'm dreaming...
  • Mild Seven are going to pull out of Renault, which is probably why Renault is not keen to commit, and why Alonso quit.

Also, Renault have siginifiacnt problems with their model mix, with something like half of its profits derived from just one model.

That is not a good environment in which to continue for sure, but who knows what will happen if they were to bag a whale eg, Coca Cola?

This is the true cost of losing the independants of course.
  • Mild Seven are going to pull out of Renault, which is probably why Renault is not keen to commit, and why Alonso quit.

Also, Renault have siginifiacnt problems with their model mix, with something like half of its profits derived from just one model.
    Have you been reading Grandprix.com? :P
  • ""Renault brought me into Formula 1, brought me my first title, and I will be working to repeat that success next year," he said. "The signs so far are very positive on every level. I am confident the chassis will be quick, and the engine team are doing a fantastic job on the new V8. I am looking forward to a very successful 2006 season."

-Fernando Alonso

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16048.html

"Renault brought me into Formula 1..." ?????
  • yeah, I thought that was a little rude.
  • "Renault brought me into Formula 1..." ?????

Dick!
  • Technically, he's sort of correct. Flav lent him to Stoddie. He was always going to drive for Renault. Webbo was Renault test driver in 2001 and was resigned to losing the seat.
  • Sort of. We still didn't see him putting Fernando in a Renault his first year and now that they're successful, you for sure won't see Flavio doing that.