Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Favorite Car Movies

AS I sashay into the Pub and belly up to the bar to order me self a Franzenkaner I look over at you and just to make some idle holiday conversation as we both make excuses for ordering another beer into the wee hours I open up with a simple question:

What is your favorite car movie?

As I kid I loved THE GREAT RACE with Tony Curtis...it just had that kind of appeal.. Then i remember the "Gumball Rally" and "Mother, Jugs and Speed", and how 'bout that classic "Corvette Summer".

does anyone make these kind of movies any more?

do you think "Rancho Deluxe" qualifies as a car moive... always wanted to do that to a cadilac witha shotgun

[Edited on 29/12/2005 by bernie]

[Edited on 29/12/2005 by bernie]

Comments

• Car movie?

I loved the French movie called Taxi.
  • what about cannonball run?
  • I don't know that 've seen "Taxi". I've seen "Taxi Driver"

Cannonball Run. Good but I liked Adrienne Barbeau better when she was bathing in the moive "Swamp Thing"

OMG! How could I have fogotten the De Niro moives "French Connection" and "Ronin" which almost convinced me to buy an Audi
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or Grand Prix (I loved Graham Hills nodding ability!)
  • One by One (does that count?) and Grand Prix. It's been a good long while since anyone has made a racing movie worth watching.
  • Bullitt.

• One by One (does that count?) and Grand Prix. It's been a good long while since anyone has made a racing movie worth watching.
    Grand Prix and Ronin are great. Just about anything is better than that Sylvester Stallone Champ Car movie, hopefully the movie about Gilles Villinueve turns out good.
  • Le Mans

and

Lap of the Gods........ awesome

[Edited on 29/12/2005 by Murph]
  • Le Mans - yes. Especially the 47 or so words Steve said.

I think the first chase in Ronin is good - the second is oover done.

But the Irish dame is super hot in that film - Ger do they still make them liike that in Ireland?
  • the great race is so cool.
    and then, of curse, image
    altrimenti ci arrabbiamo (Watch out, we're mad) starring bud terence and terence hill:D
  • What about Days of Thunder? Corny yes, but it has some of the best racing related one liners you'll find anywhere! :D :cool:
  • oooooooohhh! I FORGOT about Bullitt! YEA baby
  • [quote]One by One (does that count?) and Grand Prix. It's been a good long while since anyone has made a racing movie worth watching.
    Grand Prix and Ronin are great. Just about anything is better than that Sylvester Stallone Champ Car movie, hopefully the movie about Gilles Villinueve turns out good. [/quote]

I was trying to remember the Sly one... ah, Driven says IMDB. Terrible.
  • Laughed my head off at Wallace and Gromit, Were Rabbit last night.

Some great car chase scenes, especially the underground ones, but the piece d' resistance was the aerial dogfight when the coins ran out!

Good family entertainment, but see it on the big screen.

Spin

• nothing beats:
    "Wings" (1927) for aerial dogfights!

I tis all real and done by former WWI fighter pilots....now those guy had some BALLS
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018578/
  • Used Cars with Kurt Russell, John Carpenter's Christine, Corvette Summer with Mark Hamill, and Blues Brothers for the cop chase under the el.

[Edited on 30/12/2005 by MinardiP1]
  • Le Mans - yes. Especially the 47 or so words Steve said.

I think the first chase in Ronin is good - the second is oover done.

But the Irish dame is super hot in that film - Ger do they still make them liike that in Ireland?
    Is that the Movies or the Dames?
  • I liked Driven with Sly.
    I have the DVD !

Btw, Rat Race is also a fun movie (Cannonball Run style humor) with Rowan Atkinson!

I also remember a terrible George Clooney movie where he drives a Mercedes through the alleys of Vienna and ends up crashing it!

[Edited on 30/12/2005 by Minardus]
  • Duel!

After watching it once you get sucked into watching what you thought was a crap movie but two hours later your still there.

It's a story about a guy in an American Dodge/rambler/Valiant who is being followed by a guy in a truck who he can't shake off. There is one winner at the
    end, but I'll tell you no more

"Christine" (Stephen King) was also not too bad but the book was a lot better.

Another quaint movie of note is "The cars that ate Paris" This Aussie movie from around 1970 had a VW Beetle with giant spikes all over it (a bit like an Echidna/Hedgehog. The story is set in a small Outback town (actually Sofalla NSW) It's centred around a mental hospital , and, everyone goes.....Mental with some good old fashioned carnage and (bad) special effects.
  • Murph, have just got Lap of the Gods and love it, especially the Minardi lap. Nannini giving Nakajima a cheerful one-fingered wave at Suzuka is hilarious.

re: movies. Have been split between Bullitt and The French Connection for several years now. I think the latter has the edge as the chase was done without permission.
  • Point taken but McQueen drove the 'stang.....
  • Yea, I forgot about "Duel" I rember as a kid watching that and climbing up the couch trying to get away from the truck. Great, keep you on your toes movie!

Also reminded me about "VANISHING POINT" pretty hairy movie....

and then that brings up "Gone in 60 seconds" The whole movie seems to be just one big chase scene
  • 1) The original (french) version of Taxi.
    2) Gone in 60 seconds.

Also, I can't for the new movie "Boost" by the makers of the High Octane DVD's.
  • Original "Gone In 60 Seconds" or the new one? I've never seen the original, but like the new one. I probably like the new one BECAUSE I've never seen the original, for that matter. The only other car/racing movie I think I've ever seen is Days of Thunder.

But, there's always hope with Will Ferrell's NASCAR movie, ehh? Nope, not really.
  • I've never seen the old one.
  • would "the italian job" both the recent one and the one 3 decades ago qualify to be a car movie?
  • I think so - bit I'd have to go with the original if there were to be a vote.

Same for the origina Gone...
  • Yaknow, the transporter wasn't all that bad. I expected cheesiness to the max but the driving was really pretty good.
  • Original
    "Gone in 60 seconds" was better.

Original
    "italian Job" was THE BEST. Made me want to buy a mini as a kid, when I grew up my first NEW car purchase out of college was an '89 Honda Civic as it was the closest thing I could find to the Mini's in the movie!

love the song "it's a self preservation society" in that movie as they where driving through the sewers! so COOL!