Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Hockenheim in hock

After Spa, now Hockenheim is in financial trouble - a loss of $1.78m in 2006, according to The Guardian.

The GP will go ahead, of course, but it's yet more evidence that hosting a race is uneconomic unless you have huge government backing like Bahrain, China, etc. Euro races have to pay Bernie about $14m.

It would solve a problem for him, though, if Hockenheim eventually dropped out, freeing a slot for Russia, Mexico or South Africa.

+ once Schumi goes, the excuse for two German races goes too.

Comments

• You can be saying that all they care about is the money!?!?! No No say it ain't so!
  • Serves the Krauts right!

What do expect when you take a perfectly good racing circuit and cock it up all to hell?

I once wanted to go to a race there - even if it was in Germany - but now I'll hold out for a return of the real N'ring.
  • Mmmm ... could be a long wait.

The paradox about Hockenheim is we all agree it's been castrated and yet there's some good overtaking now. It suits modern cars.

The 'original' layout was boring for the drivers and boring for the spectators too. I think we are nostalgic about it because:

a) we loved the top speed (F1 doesn't challenge US single seaters that often)
    b) we don't love Tilke.

(of course, we Brits have always had mixed feelings because of Jim Clark's death).

[Edited on 29/12/2005 by viges]
  • I remember when the German GP was moved from the 'Ring to Hockenheim after Lauda's horrific wreck. When the drivers first went to Hockenheim they all said it was a joke!!! ... and they were right........

They also agreed though that the "Ring was too dangerous because of its length ( not nearly enough emergency vehicles were available to be placed along the entire circuit).

It just shows how F1 has developed when there are some who will shed a tear if/when Hockenheim is removed from the schedule ( I won't be one of them...). Thank goodness that we still have Spa, Monaco, Suzuka, Montreal, and Monza (even with the chicanes)........ and I should add, the new venue in Turkey.

Note to Emmo.......... if you thought that Hockenheim was a "proper track", we got to get ya out to see more circuits..... You've been to Imola and Monza..... we will add Spa to that list this year.... 2007, how about Monaco??? and I got to get ya out to Montreal sometime as well...................

[Edited on 29/12/2005 by Murph]
  • What do expect when you take a perfectly good racing circuit and cock it up all to hell?
    I fully agree, what they did to Hockenheim was a disgrace
  • The 'original' layout was boring for the drivers and boring for the spectators too.
    I recall an interview with Coulthard claiming that there was nothing 'boring' about Hockenheim pre-2002. As for it being boring for spectators, the crowds used to be huge...
  • races weren't boring though, hockenheim 94 and 96 were awesome races
  • The least they could have done was to have kept the original circuit intact and just made the new section so that with the removal of a barrier or two they could switch back and forth between the two circuits.

Is there any truth to the rumor that is was enviro wackos that demanded that the old track be demolished and returned to nature in exchange for their support of the new modifications?
  • Nürburgring has suggested to run F1 at their track one year and on the Hockenheim track the next. Rotating every year.
    Hockenheim is looking into that idea !

Now, where did I see that suggestion before ???:rolleyes:
  • Germany doesn't deserve two races. Britain does - come to Donington!

Realistically ... the vacant slot will go to Russia, South Africa or Mexico. India is also talking. The plans near the airport in Cape Town seem to be progressing - any news from down there alloy?
  • Both German tracks agree to alternate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4566894.stm

I'm sure Bernie will take them up on it.

The Schumi hordes are no more. Altogether: 'ahhhh'
  • Germany doesn't deserve two races. Britain does - come to Donington!
    get a healthy automobile industry and we'll see about that. you can always ask proton or saic whether they want to pay to bring back some of that racing green feeling . :hehe:
  • Don't patronise us, you Teutonic twit. How many turn out to support BMW/Merc as opposed to Schumi? Mikey's boys are buggering off already, the glory-chasing turds. It was the same with 'Mansell-mania' here - many of them Johnny-come-latelys who were in it for the rather vile flag-waving. Not true petrolheads.
  • as we know by now, f1 isn't about the fans

if bmw and mercedes want two venues to entertain their corporate clients they will be given this opportunity. i mean honestly, i couldn't give a toss as they've completely destroyed anything that was cool about hockenheim anyway. nevertheless, the idea of two races in the uk is plain silly (and i'm sure you meant it jokingly) as keeping silverstone on the calendar has been more than challenging already.
  • Silverstone's problems have nothing to do with a lack of passion from fans. It's purely macho bollocks between Bernie and The Establishment, which he's always loathed.

Britain successfully hosted two GPs a year for some years in the 60s, 70s and 80s, principally Brands Hatch and Silverstone.
  • England hasn't been shit since they turned thar back on Rhodesia. Heaven help us if they get more than 1 GP.
  • Interesting take on Rhodesian politics there, Quig. Tell me, who declared unilateral independence?
  • The UDi was a response to Britains policy of NIBMAR - the non negotiable policy - and then the subsequent sanctions Britian had levied at the hand of the UN.

Zimbabwe sure is a great place to live now.
  • did you guys know that ian smith still lives in zimbabwe?