Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Imola Desicration Imminent

Well that may be a bit strong but the revamp project which was just laid out before the Imola City Coouncil has been approved.

The only problem...

Tilke.

Yes Mr Cookie Cutter track designer has a hnd in it.

Who does this guy have pictures on?

Gladly he is not makng extensive track changes - only straightening out of the Variante Bassa (which is a drag IMO - I liked it for that last minute braking action) and the demo and reconstruction of the paddock.

At Minardifest last year we hung out in the garage and paddock - def needs more space but with Tilke doing the design I have the feeling that it won't have the same feel and flair that the old tower had.

Actually I KNOW it won't.

Glad I saw it then.

Its funny - in the country that altered the world of architecture and still sets design trends for all to follow F1 has to go for Tilke.

Comments

• Bernie looks after his mates.

I agree with your sentiments but Turkey is a good 'un.

Surely, the river means Tilke has very limited room for manoeuvre, unless he builds over it.
  • Just leave it as it was before 1994.
  • On of the nice things about A1 is that they're taking us to places that can't afford to host F1 (gee whiz A1 actually helps sometimes :-0 )

I really liked the Sentul track in Indonesia, I thought it had character and atmosphere.
  • Brands, Seca agreed.

Indo? It was empty.

Eastern Creek? Shite.

You can't have it all. In general I think A1 has done a great first season.
  • wasn't sentul built to host a future f1 race, and then proved to be unsafe?
  • It looks too small and is getting on a bit now; no comparison with the scale of Sepang and Shanghai.
  • Agreed viges, Eastern Creek is rubbish. Phillip Island (where they run Moto GP) was a front runner, HOWEVER, since AJ is from Sydney, they thought that Melbourne has too many events, and they should spread the load.

Melbourne has F1, Moto GP, WSBK and 2 rounds of the V8's(supercars not the new F1's. Sydney has NOTHING. (well Bathurst, but is so far removed from Sydney). Besides Sydney lags behind in everything motorsport. It just aint in the blood up there.

One day when AJ is out of the picture, and someone who knows how to run a team moves in, they will see the merits of moving A1 to PI. Then we will see racing. Very fast bends and undulating track.

[Edited on 3/3/2006 by SuperRoo]
  • Gawd almighty. Only an idiot would allow Tilke to botch up another circuit. Not an innovative bone in his body. Imola best say no. After all the Butchered Hockenheim is not exactly a viabli cicuit anymore!
  • As for A1, don't forget about Durban guys. What a great, great track that was!

And I read somewhere that the Aussie round next year will only happen if it's a street race in Sydney around the old Olympic site.
  • All Tilke is doing is eliminating the Variante Bassa....it will one heck of a strait from Rivazza through the front strait. The pit entrance will be brought forward and the Grandstand located there will be eliminated so that the paddock can be extended. As Quig mentioned, there is very little room in the paddock so this was the only way to expand it. When talking to PF and CA during our visit, both said the problem with Imola is it is so narrow............
  • If thats the case then I have no problem. I would have thought that the Italians would object to their circuit being significantly altered.
  • But he will be giving the good news to the tower and that is bad news for us - glad I go to see it when it did not look like a space ship or ice palace.