Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Good old Arsenal

Come on you Gunners. This has all the makings of a classic European Cup final with Barca.

I have supported them all my life and this is right up there with the '79 FA Cup final. What makes it all the sweeter is that (amazingly) we are the first London team ever to get there.

Lehmann, Lehmann, Lehmann ... bloody legend.

Comments

• Yes Simon, there is everything for a real classic, like Liverpool-AC Milan last year.

This time, though, I'm going to enjoy the football and not to suffer, since AC Milan is not there (last year I was crazily supporting Liverpool and it was one of the greatest nights in my "sportlife", but I lost one year of life for the way things went.

This year, win the best!

And then, hopefully, three weeks without hearing anything about football before the World Cup!
  • I do enjoy, quite a bit, watching Terry Henry play.

Also, 79' FA Cup? I got the impression that you were at least somewhat young Simon..
  • Great to see two well-playing and attacking teams in the final. It wouls be nice if the nonflying Dutchman would score the winner !!
  • Ronaldinho all the way (go Frank)
  • I have to say I hope Arsenal win but I won't object to Barcelona. Just glad its not Chelsea.
  • Jello, I am decreasingly young. The 1979 FA Cup final provided one of my happiest days. Similar to the 2002 Australian GP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1320000/images/_1321998_sunderland150.jpg

Magic Alan Sunderland. Best final ever. Funny how Arsenal is now criticised for a lack of English players (it is irrelevant) when they only had about two in '79. A great Celtic team (as was the Arsenal tradition). Pat Rice and Liam Brady are still at the club assisting Arsene Wenger.

Come on you Gunners.
  • Barca can be just too difficult for Arsenal. Ronaldinho is in his best form and he can invent anything, any time. As a Milan supporter I was sorry for Schevchenko - he deserved to score!
  • He did and I would have much preferred Milan in the final but Barca are not invincible. Apart from this week's game in Villarreal, Arsenal have been playing the best football of the four semi-finallists by far. Neither leg of Barca-Milan was that special, wonder goal aside.
  • Originally posted by viges
    He did and I would have much preferred Milan in the final but Barca are not invincible. Apart from this week's game in Villarreal, Arsenal have been playing the best football of the four semi-finallists by far. Neither leg of Barca-Milan was that special, wonder goal aside.
    I disagree there. Barcelona have played better and more beautiful football. And I don't only mean Ronaldinho or Eto'o as outstanding individuals, they were outstanding as a team as well.
  • I've always been curious; why 'Arsenal' while other teams in the Premiership simply use city names? Is there a 'London' club that was around at the time, or something?
  • In the beginning, it was the works team at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich (south London). The players all worked in military munitions (hence 'The Gunners').

Arsenal moved north of the river in 1913 and are about to leave the marvellous Highbury stadium. We are the only club in London with a Tube station named after us.

Queen's Park Rangers no longer play in Queen's Park.
    Clapton Orient became Leyton Orient.
    Millwall now play in south London.
    Chelsea are in Brompton ... and so on, teams often have to move when they get bigger.

As for the rabble in N17, well, we don't like to talk about them.

P.S. fortunately one of the few American-style franchise experiments has failed with the relocation of Wimbledon to Milton Keynes, becoming 'MK Dons'. Fans of the old club have formed AFC Wimbledon and have everyone's support as they race up the leagues.

[Edited on 1-5-0606 by viges]
  • As an Evertonian I have to say thank God the TOLT (the other liverpool team) are not in the final soooooooooooooo Go Gunners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!''''''''''''''''

[Edited on 1-5-0606 by Ger]
  • looks like repeat of last year if Arsenal win. They'll have to start in the 1st Q round unless they overtake tottenham.
  • How could I forget - as any Manchester City fan will tell you, United are not in Manchester but Salford.

United was viewed as the team for the immigrants; the same with Aston Villa in Birmingham. Arsenal was traditionally the team for the London Irish and Scots (see the great team of 1979) while Tottenham has a large Greek and Jewish fanbase, due to geography.
  • Not quite the European cup final, but what an F.A Cup final yesterday! Another 3-3 draw and it going to penalties. Supporting Liverpool can severely damage your health!!! But i'd never want to support anyone else!
  • Originally posted by Minardi4eva
    Not quite the European cup final, but what an F.A Cup final yesterday! Another 3-3 draw and it going to penalties. Supporting Liverpool can severely damage your health!!! But i'd never want to support anyone else!
    It sure was a beautiful game. My heart bleeds for West Ham, but Gerrard's goals deserved the cup. He was amazing.
  • Is Rooney a pretty hot topic in England at the moment? I will certainly miss his presence if he's not healthy in time for the first round..
  • I seriously don't understand how people could miss Rooney. While not wanting to cast into doubt his qualities as a player, I actually think the tournament will benefit from the absense of a little townie/pikey/chav running around shouting f-off whenever the ref says something

[Edited on 16-5-0606 by forzaminardi]
  • Anybody wanna talk baseball?
  • nah, if we want fat blokes gobbing on the floor we watch darts ;-)
  • Haha, well said.

I don't know what suddenly changed my mind. But somehow I have the feeling Arsenal might just win tomorrow.
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    Anybody wanna talk baseball?

Sure, my Astros are playing your Giants tonight, we got our ass kicked yesterday but kept Bonds from getting #714. We have been on a downward slide at the moment but still up there with the Cards and Reds. We are all hoping Clemens will decide to play again in June, our bullpen is okay but I think they need him to have a chance at the world series again.
  • I'm caught that game as well - and am listening to the game on the radio now. What the hell was that with hitting Bonds?
  • I guess all the pitchers don't want to give him #714 and they don't want to be booed for intentionaly walking him, so I guess hitting him is the other option besides striking him out.
  • that ref should never be allowed to lead a game again, what a plonker!! luckily he didn't manage to spoil the game completely
  • Looks like we swept the 'stro's BIG TIME. Sorry T star.
  • Ya I'm just glad that was the last time we play yall this season cause those were 3 very bad games in a row. At least Bonds won't get #714 off of our pitchers, thats the bright side.
  • Its the curse of the babe.......
  • I think that in the case of the expulsion of Arsenal's goalie, the goal should have stood and the goalie given a yellow card.

But well done Barca, they are the best team around at the moment, after AC Milan of course....!
  • i agree with your statement, neil