Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

How does one cook a Barramudi?

Need some advice. Having the in-laws aroud for dinner. They only eat fish. Thought I'd try cooking a Barramundi. I've been told its a good substitute for cod. Anyone from down under have any ideas. And No, I don't want to barbecue it. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fish sticks? :D
  • I'll check with the chef, but I think Barramundi, is best cooked as we do wih most fish now, just lightly pan-fried in a little oil and touch of butter, and served with fresh lemon and a light salad.

Delicious!

Spin
  • Spin, A thousand Thanks. I Think you're right, I'll pan fry it!
    A new fish farm has just opened in the New Forest marketting barramundi. I did not know they could be farmed. I presume all your catches in Aus are non farmed.
  • Ingredients:

1 Fillet barramundi or perch fish
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    1 fresh chilli
    1/2 cup fresh parsley
    1/2 cup fresh shallots
    1 fresh lemon
    1 bunch English spinach
    3 baby potatoes
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    Directions:

In a baking dish lay a bed of foil. Place onto the foil the fillet of fish. Cover with olive oil, white wine. Spread minced garlic, finely chopped chilli, chopped parsley and shallots onto and around fish. Squeeze juice of 1/2 a lemon onto fillet and some cracked black pepper.

Fold the foil around the fish (like a parcel) and place in a pre heated oven at 375° F for 20 minutes.

Serve with blanched baby spinach and boiled potatoes.

This recipe for Baked Barramundi serves/makes 1.
  • Good for you for trying something different Sawbones!

Personally, I think that particualr northern delicay is over-rated.

Give me the fruits of the salt water estuaries anyday: Flathead, whiting, leatherjacket, yum!
  • The easiest way is to wrap the fillet in foil with butter, crushed garlic and finely chopped parsley. You can do this in an oven or on the BBQ. Bloody beautiful.

How much do you pay for barra over there??

When I lived in the NT we used to get battered barra fillets as part of your fish and chips. Good sized fillets were about $4 each.

Good thing about barra is that you can catch it by hand. No I don't mean handline, just a small piece of bread in your hand and grab the thing by the bottom lips as they come up for the bread.
  • Beer Battered! :D
  • Unfortunately EU regulations means that we can't sourcs whitfish at competitive prices due to over fishing. Hencs the move to an alternative market. Thanks again for the recipes.