Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

F1 points system needs to change

Lets face it race fans, any system that ensures the championship is determined with two thirds of the season to run is seriuously flawed.
Swevemaker won't catch Alonso now that there's a 21 point gap simply beacuse if he wins all the next 10 races and Alonso finishes second, he still loses by 1 point.
I say lets go back to the old system where we allocate points for the top six only and restore the 4 point differential between first and second place. That system has worked for 20 years and promotes aggressive racing as opposed to drivers racing like accountants happy to amass points.

Comments

• Seconded.
  • agree and disagree

i agree that the gap for the winner should be bigger as that does encourage overtaking however: i think it's wrong that only 8 (or even 6) people get points in a field where 18 cars make the finish line on a regular basis
  • In my opinion it's good that 8 and not 6 drivers are awarded with points. In this way even the smallest teams can have their dream of getting into the points.

However the suggestion to widen the gap between 1st and 2nd place has my vote too.
  • This system rewards consistancy, something that Alonso has been and still is. Same as Ferrari before them.

You can't really blame the points system, solely. McLaren have had one of the fastest cars for quite a few seasons in the last 10 years, but were fragile. Webber should be up near Kimi and Schuey, but the Williams reliability is woeful.

Alonso is having a purple patch, which will turn black next year.

I would still like the top 8 to score points, just make P1 12 points, and leave the rest as is.
  • Yes it rewards consistency, but so did the old system. Personally I don't see why one had to reward places down to eigth. It simply the devalued how important a single point was.
    In addition under the old points system just securing a seventh place could be worth $ 10 millions.
  • i will still bet my money on Schumy this year, love me or hate me, I see the championship as still open. 1 engine failure for Alonso concurrently with a Schumy win will reopen the championship.
  • I agree that 1st and 2nd need more differentiation. I think Roo's idea of 1st place having 12 points in not bad.
  • Something needs to be done and 12 points for 1st seems logical as I see no reason to go back to just giving points to the top 6.

Should there be extra points for pole and fastest lap again?
  • 12p for 1st sounds good to me.
  • I think some sort of fastest lap or most cars passed would be a nice bonus - maybe pole pos... but then again that would start to look like circl track racing.

Hmmmmmm
  • Originally posted by Petroltorque
    Lets face it race fans, any system that ensures the championship is determined with two thirds of the season to run is seriuously flawed.
    Swevemaker won't catch Alonso now that there's a 21 point gap simply beacuse if he wins all the next 10 races and Alonso finishes second, he still loses by 1 point.
    I say lets go back to the old system where we allocate points for the top six only and restore the 4 point differential between first and second place. That system has worked for 20 years and promotes aggressive racing as opposed to drivers racing like accountants happy to amass points.
    Well, a big difference between number one and two is good if you have a good fight between two drivers. But it's not if Ferrari wins every race. Which is partly why they changed it in the first place.
  • You canit mandate for a single team it never works. OK Toit dominated one season. But look at the problems of the present points system.
  • 12 points would work, but speaking as an accountant surely the best way to amass points would be to win. In order to win you must be agressive (unless on pole or in a vastly superior car). Ergo drivers should not be racing for posistion (unless in last couple of races when only a small amount of points are needed for a title.
  • getting 12 points for the win is like spinal tap having volume knobs that go up to eleven.
  • Drop second back to 7 points.

10/7/6/5/4/3/2/1
  • But then there's hardly any motivation to push for 2nd when you're comfortably 3rd !!!
  • no less motivation than there is currently to push for 3rd when you're 4th.....

the point is that a WIN should be worth more than a 2 point hike over a PLACE.

Either that or you have to start making the points awarded silly amounts like they do in V8 Supercars and CART.
  • I think taht more cars should have to fight for some points, but the winner has to get more advantage than now.

So my suggestion is:

1=20 points
    2=16
    3=12
    4=10
    5=8
    6= 6
    7= 4
    8= 3
    9= 2
    10=1

Obviously, no points if the car doesn't reach the checked flag (even with less than 10 cars remaining).
  • Problem is with 10 cars getting points you are rewarding mediocrity. I just think 6-8 cars is the ballpark. With 8 cars getting points, Manufacturer teams like Toyota and BMW will pick up scraps and make the board look like thay are acheiving something at least.

Imagine how quick the exit will be if 2 points is the return for $500mil...
  • Originally posted by SuperRoo
    Imagine how quick the exit will be if 2 points is the return for $500mil...
    Toyota seem to be reasonably happy with not much more:D
  • How about just move 2nd to 7th down 1 point.

This means 7th and 8th will end up with the same (1) point
    but that is mediocre in a field of 20 and still gives smaller teams
    something to aim for.
  • Seven points for second - simple but brilliant, problem solved.
  • Originally posted by Petroltorque
    Three races to go.... 2 points difference.

[Edited on 10-9-06 by Stan]
  • Err, only after a previously legal device was banned by the FIA and Alonso was penalised for 'impeding' Massa during quali. All perfectly normal ...
  • of course... a race has 56 laps and then ferrari wins... all part of the appeal
  • Thank you Vigars! Game set and match to us Methinks!
  • That Alonso lost 5 grid places didn't really matter with a blown up engine, did it?
  • On the contrary. He admitted to hammering his engine to make up slots. In addition being tucked up behind Massa's exhaust did not do it any good either.
  • humbug. I can remember people starting from way behind and winning races. kimi's done it, michael's done it.
  • No, it's not to do whether he should have or could have won or not, it's the manifold adverse impacts of being unfairly penalised. Who can tell the exact role that played in the mechanical failure? But surely, most likely, something?

The usual story - like Malaysia '99, or even Hungary this year with Schumacher and PDlaR- a constantly evolving rulebook designed to meet the purposes of the marketeers at the FIA, who just happen to love red.

Corruption, it's the modern disease, a cancer of civilisation, it takes many forms.