Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

MATCHES!!!!

Soccer matches I would be glad to watch:

Top of the classification

IRAN vs USA!

Then matches such as :
Spain vs Portugal
England vs Argentina

ha ha!

Comments

• Serbia vs Croatia will also be full of spice....
  • serbia vs croatia? that's not going to happen
  • the match i want to see is Italy vs USA.
  • A Germany vs. Holland or a Germany vs. England always is nice.
  • Originally posted by Stan
    A Germany vs. England always is nice.
    In light of this story a Germany vs Jolloy Old England would be a fun match!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91167-13527918,00.html?f=rss
  • the sad thing about the world cup is that it attracts quite a bit of scum
  • The German police have been praising the England supporters (so far, fingers crossed, etc., etc.) V little trouble.
  • Give it time - my money is on the soccer hooligans. Plus, they would be way more fun to watch then soccer - I don't know what you people see in that game.
  • At its best, it is truly the beautiful game. Its purity of rules/simplicity has ensured it is the global game. Not that you lot would ever understand that, what with your cricket derivative being branded as a 'world series' despite the fact its just you, Guam and the Japs who play it. Oh, and Canada.

re: hooligans. Actually, other countries have bigger problems than the English now. (Poland, Holland, Italy [domestic]) It seems we have prevented most of our troublemakers from travelling so far. In general, there seem to be many more people going (70,000 in Nuremburg and only 4,000 official tickets for England) with a bigger 'family' aspect to it. Thus, the hooligans are in an even smaller minority.

Fingers crossed.
  • What most of the US doesn't get is the definition of world, apparently in the rest of the world the word includes all of the other nations of the world. The only sports in the US that get this are Champ Car World Series and the NHL, champ cars race in other countries and the NHL call themselves Stanley Cup champions not world champions.

Don't forget a lot of South and Central America play baseball as well, but this still doesn't make it more of a world series.
  • Makes me think of MinardiP1's post.

• I am not sure how you can equate my dismissal of a sport with the map you posted. Many here in the States think soccer is a great sport - as a matter of fact as a child my generation was told point blank that by the time we got to high school US football would no longer be played in America - it would be replaced by soccer.

Well, I am 30 years past the start of high school and soccer past grade school is not as popular as baseball, football and basketball. Pro siccer leagues come and go - it pretty much is a game for school aged children.
  • I wasn't actually responding at your post, but at Telstar's.
    And his post let me think of that thing.
  • got it - sorry
  • I agree with Quig

Far too simple a game. Still, that accounts for its origins and popularity.

Was thinking the other day though, about the US approach to sport, and wondered about something.

Looking at popular games such as Baseball, American Football, Ice Hockey, IRL & NASCAR, Basketball, there is this recurring theme of instant gratification. In all of these sports, there is always an achievement just around the corner. In football, there are downs between touchdowns, basketball has a score every few seconds, NASCAR & IRL could alternatively be called 'No more Gaps', you see the trend.

So it is probably not surprising then, that with this diet on the tube, games like S-O-C-C-E-R, with practically no scoring involved, will ever get mainstrean attention. Formula One might easily be dismissed under the same criterea.

Just a thought.

Re: Grudge matches - Stop being softcXcks: Tutsis v Hutus. Go boys!

[Edited on 15-6-0606 by Lease]
  • As predicted, Germany/Poland kicked-off in Dortmund last night. 300 arrests (I only mention it because some tend to think hooliganism is uniquely English).

Lease, what's wrong with simplicity? The reason football is the global game is because it can be played in a jungle clearing or a 100-thousand seat stadium. The game is the same.

William Webb Ellis buggered the whole thing up when he picked up the ball. Homo-erotic cross country wrestling or some such.
  • hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Homo erotic.........................eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhh
  • S-O-C-C-E-R, so THAT's how you spell Football! ;)
  • Stan, that is very funny!!! G.W's quick reference guide!