Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Montoya to Switch to NASCAR!

From Atlas:

Juan Pablo Montoya has decided to turn his back on Formula One at the end of the season and will make a switch to NASCAR next year, autosport.com can reveal.

The McLaren driver's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, as it appeared his options to remain in Grand Prix racing were narrowing.

But Montoya has now inked a deal with Chip Ganassi Racing to compete in Nextel Cup as of next year - and autosport.com understands that it is a long term one.

Montoya enjoyed a successful relationship with Ganassi when he captured the 1999 CART championship and the 2000 Indianapolis 500 crown.

Recently Ganassi said he would be interested in recruiting the Colombian, but it had been thought that this was for his Indy Racing League outfit.

However, sources close to Montoya have revealed that talks between the driver and his former team boss have focused on a move to NASCAR, with Chip Ganassi Racing having been looking for a replacement for Casey Mears.

Those talks have culminated this weekend in a deal being signed, with Montoya taking over the No. 42 car from the start of next season.

Although Montoya has never raced a NASCAR, he did spend some time behind the wheel of Jeff Gordon's Monte Carlo during a promotional activity at Indianapolis in June 2003.

Sources close to Montoya have indicated that Montoya became excited by the option of NASCAR when it was presented to him last month. "He's just glad to be going back home," said one source.

Montoya said recently that he was far from concerned about his future in motor racing - and admitted that 'anything was possible' in terms of where he would be racing.

"Well I am quite relaxed," said Montoya when asked about his feelings on getting a deal for next year. "I am looking at my options and we will see what happens. I am not too worried about anything. Nothing is sure but I am pretty happy."

When asked if he was confident he would remain in F1, Montoya said: "I don't know. I am looking at all my options and we will see what happens.

"I am not too worried about it. I am trying to put myself in the best position of where I am going to be happiest."

Ganassi was unavailable for comment about the deal, but speaking recently he said that his target for Mears' replacement would be in simply signing the fastest guy possible.

"You have to take the best guy that is available to you, whoever he is, wherever he is, whatever he is," he said. "There are a lot of teams looking for drivers.

"Am I happy about this? No. Am I happy to be in this situation? No. Is it a disaster? No, it's not a disaster, either. It's just part of the business."

Single seater drivers have had mixed success in making the switch to NASCAR.

Former Champ Car champion Jimmy Vasser competed in a few Busch Series races before calling it quits, as did Paul Tracy who subsequently signed a five-year contract extension to remain in single seaters.

Michel Jourdain Jr. left Champ Car for NASCAR but failed to make an impact in Busch or the Truck Series.

The one exception to the rule is former IRL champion Tony Stewart, who has two Nextel Cup championships to his name and shares the same kind of aggression on the track that is a hallmark of Montoya.

Only last weekend, former world champion Jacques Villeneuve said that he would consider a switch to NASCAR once his F1 career was over.

"Going to NASCAR might not be such a bad career move because it's the most exciting race series in the U.S. and it's a very different discipline to F1," he told the Red Bulletin.

"I would not consider it a step down. Would I consider a move to stock cars? I would."

Comments

• What a dissapointment he's been. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2003, nice guy (for some reason he thought I was from Iceland) I even sat in his Williams. Sorry to see him go but hopefully Lewis may get a chance.
  • Worst F1 news I've heard in a while. F1 needs more drivers like Montoya. They all are so boring, I don't even think I can remember all of their names right now.

[Edited on 9-7-06 by Stan]
  • Destruction derbies don't even need drivers like Montoya. He can get lost.
  • Has a sort of sad inevitability about it.

Never forget Interlagos 2001.
  • was that when Jos went astray?

when i read the news this morning I thought it was some kind of joke, I'm sure the salaries in Nascar are amazing but come on...
  • I was thinking of his pass on Schumi in turn one.
  • Originalmente escrito por forzaminardi
    was that when Jos went astray?
    No, that was 2003.
  • Great for NASCAR, bad for F1. I've never been a really big fan, but do like his straight up nature.

Ah well, Bye Bye Juan.
  • He'd lost the plot. Surprised he's going to Nascar though...
  • Originally posted by Minardus
    [quote]Originalmente escrito por forzaminardi
    No, that was 2003. [/quote]

2001, or at least 2000

Jos did it in an Arrows. In 2003 Jos was in a Minardi.
  • Can't say I'm sorry to see him go he's certainly never lived up to the hype and expectation and made too many mistakes and been kicked all over the shop by Kimi not sure how he'll get on in redneck racing though.

It's now being reported on grandprix.com that he could be replaced by De la Rosa for the rest of the season with preesumably Paffet stepping into the main testing role.
  • good news for Webber, in several ways.
  • never liked Montoya but we will miss the Columbian supporters.
  • Originalmente escrito por Stan
    [quote]Originally posted by Minardus
    [quote]Originalmente escrito por forzaminardi
    No, that was 2003. [/quote]

2001, or at least 2000

Jos did it in an Arrows. In 2003 Jos was in a Minardi. [/quote]

Yeah, I assumed we we talking about when Jos went offtrack in the rain when he could have won the race !!!!
  • Montoya out - de la Rosa for Magny-Cours.

Maybe they could try Hamilton/Paffett in later races?
  • I guess Uncle Ron and Monty had a very interesting one on one.

Wurz must be kicking himself for not staying with Mäkklärren
  • It all started when JPM had his little "tennis" accident, Never been the same driver since.

I predicted this back in the day. Indy drivers just can't make the switch.

I think he will have a hard time in NASCAR as well.
  • He should be in his element in nascar, hitting team mates and other cars. At least when he hits them in nascar it doesn't always mean a retirement from the race.
  • I think the "Good ol boys" will show Montoya true southern hospitality, by punting his Colombian arse into the wall.:P
  • Agreed. It might be fun to watch the circle burners just for that!
  • Originally posted by forzaminardi
    I'm sure the salaries in Nascar are amazing but come on...
    About the funniest thing I've seen all day. I can't help but laugh whenever anyone says this, as if NASCAR teams spend more money than F1 teams. They spend money, sure, but he's undoubtedly making millions less here than he was at McLaren.
    Originally posted by MCSF
    Indy drivers just can't make the switch.
    Yeah, I gotta tell you, Tony Stewart is the worst driver in NASCAR, and how about that Robby Gordon? I'll tell ya, those damn Indy drivers just fuckin' suck.
    Originally posted by SuperRoo
    I think the "Good ol boys" will show Montoya true southern hospitality, by punting his Colombian arse into the wall.
    Let's go through the top 10:

Johnson - California. Not southern.
    Kenseth - Wisconsin. Not southern.
    Earnhardt - North Carolina. Southern.
    Burton - Virginia. In-between.
    Kahne - Washington (state.) Not southern.
    Martin - Arkansas. Southern (but he's not.)
    Stewart - Indiana. Not southern.
    Busch - Nevada. Not southern.
    Harvick - California. Not southern.
    Gordon - California. Not southern.

You're 2/10 on your geography.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough disproving other people's points, here's what I think:

A top 20 in points next season would be a victory for Montoya. Ganassi isn't a top team anyway, and he'll have two inexperienced teammates (both are rookies this season.) The 42 is historically the best Ganassi car though. It will be a big transition for him, but he's good enough to do it.

The entire "good ole' boys" thing pisses me off more and more every time I hear it. Just like all soccer fans are violent rioters, all NASCAR fans are rednecks, right? I can go through the rest of the standings driver by driver if you'd like. I saw someone say basically the exact same thing talking about the possibility of JV going to NASCAR, and it's just completely wrong. I've seen close-minded people before, but it's baffling to think that fans of another racing series would be that dumb.

[Edited on 12-7-06 by Rekart]
  • What the hell.........you mean "Days of Thunder" got it wrong? Dang...
  • This looks like fun.

Maybe in dear Emmett's defence, he was thinking of DaMatta, along with Montoya. Or perhaps Christian Fittipaldi (same theory in reverse).

In any event, he is gone, gone, gone. My theory is that he has the Alan Jones syndrome - too fat to build a car for.

So the steroetypes in Stock Cars are apochryphal, eh?

Hey-ell, Ah don't care which way you went around Indy last year Juan. You git thet Sharpie Car turned around lickety split, ya heeyah!

Oh....I dunno. Some of them necks is lookin a teeny bit rosy to me.

Yep, Prince Albert did exactly the same thing at Monaco last year.

Next thing you know, they will be banning fans from taking Confederate Flags to the rounders.

Sad day......................sad day.
  • Is Nascar the American equivalent of DTM or is it something entirely different?
  • No, it's exactly the same..........minus the corners, and anything else interesting.
  • Rkart - I meant that Indy drivers can't make the switch to F1 very well. Bopth cases where they have done well *Andretti Senior and JV) both had the class of the field cars.

o be fair - F1 to NASCAR has not gone well either...

Lease - you forgot that there is another significant difference between DTM and NASCAR. Two actually. NASCAR still uses carbs and has no idea what an overhead cam is.
  • Is the speedway pictured possibly Bristol or Martinsville? For some reason I think they are the tightest two.

[Edited on 12-7-06 by MinardiP1]
  • I think that is Bristol. Short tracl NASCAR IS pretty exciting - I will give them that.
  • --First picture is Talladega, which like Daytona, usually has one big wreck, because of restrictor plates to slow the cars down. This causes the cars to bunch up, which makes it impossible to avoid anything in front of you. They have restrictor plates for safety, however, because the cars would be averaging about 230 MPH if they didn't have them, and would become airplanes if they were sideways. That actually began to happen back in the late 70's/early 80's at much slower speeds, which is why they made restrictor plates.
    --Second picture is Martinsville. It and Bristol are the two shortest, yeah. Bristol has highly banked turns though, Martinsville is more flat. Bristol also usually has a lot more crashes.
    --Third picture is a tradition for the Brickyard 400 at Indy.

As for Indy to F1, not many have done well, yeah. JV did, and Montoya isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be, but da Matta, Zanardi, and others didn't do very good. The switch from F1 to indy has worked out lately, but to be fair, there wasn't much competition in either indy series. F1 to NASCAR has barely ever happened.
  • funny been to Bristol at least once a month for four years, never noticed the Nascar track :P