Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

What did Materazzi say to Zidane?

Using my powers of lip reading, it was; " Eh, ZiZou, do you know a good cure for Heartburn?"

Comments

• Apparently it was something about Zidane's wife or mother, one of whom i've gathered is very ill.
  • Yes, the racism he can cope with. I don't blame him. In fact, I would have punched Materazzi.
  • it was no racism at all.
    He just said to him: "Why retire? Come and play with Inter Milan!"
  • I wouldn't have just punched him viges, it was his last game after all..... I would've done exactly what he did to get him on the ground, and then kicked the living shit out of him if what he allegedly said is in fact true.

Materazzi would have gone off on a stretcher, and for once an Italian wouldn't have been feigning the injury.
  • I heard he was called a "dirty racisist". However, don't take him ou tin the game - wait till after and them do it. Had he stayed in the Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey's might have won. If so to not only have the trophy AND then to kick some ass would be far better.

No, the taunt, if there was any, did exactly what it was intended for.
  • all this compassion for a violent, wild prick makes me wanna puke
  • No compassion from me Salvo - the guy is no "hero" as he is being prtrayed in France. He should have finished the match like a profesional player and settled his disputes off the field.
  • But last night Materazzi's agent Phil Smith revealed the Italian's version of what happened.

He said it began when Materazzi grabbed the Frenchman's shirt, pinching his nipple. "If you want my shirt so much, then you can f...... have it after the game," Zidane supposedly said.

"I'd rather have the shirt off your woman," Materazzi responded, a reference to Zidane's wife Veronique. Ka-boom.

The opposite version, according to lipreaders, goes that moments after he had grabbed Zidane's shirt Materazzi said: "Hold on, wait, that one's not for c.... like you."

Zidane's response could not be seen, before Materazzi replied:

"We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore."

Then, just before the butt, he said: "So just f... off."

Italian newspapers claim that Zidane started the tit-for-tat insults by insulting Materazzi's mother, who died when he was young.
  • Who bloody cares, I just now know, that Italian footballers can do backwards dives as well. :D:D;) Sorry Salvo.

Who cares, he a frog, and as history has them pegged, they lost.
  • http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/football/07/12/fifa.zidane.reut/index.html

Pity because Materazzi played a great tournament but I guess the twenty kg of tattoos were a giveaway...
  • "The one who is really guilty must be punished." - Zidane

I don't care what Materazzi said, they're both guilty. Zidane also said "I am a man before anything else," but I have to disagree, because men can control themselves and handle things in the correct way. Besides, a cheap-shot head-butt isn't exactly manly anyway.
  • Originally posted by Rekart
    "The one who is really guilty must be punished." - Zidane

I don't care what Materazzi said, they're both guilty. Zidane also said "I am a man before anything else," but I have to disagree, because men can control themselves and handle things in the correct way. Besides, a cheap-shot head-butt isn't exactly manly anyway.
    Well said.
  • I'd like to know how premeditated the provocative insult was!

Did Italy have this in their game plan with Zidane carefully targetted,
    knowing exactly how he would respond, when the pressure was greatest, when the likelihood of the penalty or red carding was certain?

If so, let's forget this "beautiful sport" crap and face the realities of the winning teams tactics!

No butts!

Spin
  • So Doc, your saying that the Italian team used whatever means available to win at the expense of sportsmanship.

Mmm, sounds very familiar to another Italian Team....
  • Sounds a bit too much like a conspiracy theory to me. I seriously doubt they told Materazzi, "Go make fun of his mother and sister," and they couldn't have expected Zidane to do anything like that. Really, because of his experience and how important he is to France, they would probably have assumed he wouldn't do anything like he did.
  • "Mmm, sounds very familiar to another Italian Team...."

Are you speaking about Briatore ;)
  • Lets forget the wild speculation. All the bullshit about lip readers interpretation of Materazzi's comments makes me think the journalists are as culpable as Zidane. The bottom line is that Materazzi did not make any racists comments and did not call him a terrorist.
    So why react that way? Personally the French have gone way down in my opinion, hailing Zidane as some king of Hero. What would be their reaction had Materazzi been seriously injured?
  • football players often insult each other during a match, everybody konws. Materazzi didn't say anything racist, he said somethiong nasty about Zidane's wife, that is of course unpolite but not extraordinary at all, during a match. The north african frog eater lost control and he behaved like a 12 years old silly boy, that's it.
    Campioni del mondo!!!!!
  • In the beautiful game of rugby theres none of this open violence ( it all goes on out of the way of the ref, or sir as we call him!!)

I think football can learn a lot from rubgy, especially in the respect front. Theres no argueing back, only the captain and pack leader can speak to referee who needs to be called sir. If anyone speaks back to the ref he gives the opposition 10 meters advantage and has no objection to giving someone a sin bin for talking back!

In my opinion if referees had this much power and respect in fooball then we would see the end to all this play acting for injuries and diving!!!

Bunch of pussys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • saw bath vs worcester and a bath player taking out the referee together with the attacking player in a flying tackle... try that in footie :D
  • I'm not making a hero out of Zidane and don't really prefer either France or Italy as teams.

Zidane has blown up and head butted before according to reports. It could be reasonable expected that given provocation he could do it again.

Most of us have some raw nerves that can be touched, and a great player who is on the edge of top performance, may be just as vulnerable to losing that control as one would expect him to exercise control.

A nipple pinch and quick succession of insults to his mother and sister could just about do it to most guys.

Would the Italian team do this as a deliberate strategy?

"Wild speculation" cautions Petrol!

How many millions had been bet by the teams followers and backers? Would they have that sort of motivation?

Hmmmm!

Spin
  • My comment about wild speculation was a result of the BBC's interpretation. They used a "lip reader" who did not speak italian to pass judgement on Materazzi.
  • MM - "hey ZZ, ive got a hair growth remedy on my chest. Want some?"