Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Magny-Cours

Yawn. A points system designed to curb Schumi in 2002 now ensures a narrower lead can be easily defended. Alonso doesn't need to win another race although TOIT could change the maths there.

Confirmation Michelin was ultra-conservative at Indy but Bridgestone has also upped its game. Where has Michelin's hot weather advantage gone?

+ Honda - what the?

+ circuit design -v- dirty air: great overtaking by the GP2 boys into the hairpin but it is simply impossible for F1 coming out of the fast curve and onto that straight. GP2 is far more entertaining.

Comments

• not to mention Williams, Rosberg had a pretty rough time, or is tha just Rosberg?
  • Rosberg has had one good race this year, the first one. And he qualifed very well in Malaysia.

Other than that he's been nowhere, and Webber has trounced him...... that is when his car has held up. :(

Bit of a feeling growing on the Williams forums that Rosberg isn't all he's cracked up to be, and he wouldn't be there if his surname isn't what it is.
  • Originally posted by MinardiP1
    Rosberg has had one good race this year, the first one. And he qualifed very well in Malaysia.

Other than that he's been nowhere, and Webber has trounced him...... that is when his car has held up. :(

Bit of a feeling growing on the Williams forums that Rosberg isn't all he's cracked up to be, and he wouldn't be there if his surname isn't what it is.
    Can't really argue with that. But Nico is the least of WilliamsF1's problems, their development is going nowhere.
  • Told you so! Rosberg's GP2 title was very contentious. He should have been banned for at least one race when the FIA found his team using illegal suspension parameters.
    It would be interesting to know what the Williams forums feel about the teams performances. In a word shocking. Teams like Honda and Toyota have had the gumption to sack under performing staff. NOT so at Williams.
  • i don't know whether the first step always has to be the sack. it's quite disheartening because they started so well
  • It's not the engine, it's the aero. That's what happens when Loic Bigois is your senior aerodynamicist.
  • And it's not Nico that's the problem, it's Webber. He's underperformed both seasons there, and has shown no consistent signs of being good at anything but blocking. It's Nico's first season, give him some time. The aero isn't very good, but whenever the car IS running good, it seems like the engine blows up, so they have multiple problems right now.

Anyone see where Ferrari is unhappy that Massa finished third and not second? We all know Ferrari is out of their mind, but maybe they should look at how big of a hole they put themselves in and not blame their second driver for getting a podium. I don't know Schumi, and I'm sure he's overly cocky, and for good reason, but he'd probably say the same thing I did. If he loses, it's not because Massa finished 3rd and not 2nd.

[Edited on 17-7-06 by Rekart]
  • Originally posted by Rekart
    And it's not Nico that's the problem, it's Webber. He's underperformed both seasons there, and has shown no consistent signs of being good at anything but blocking.
    Oh come on, take your pills.

Webber has had at least two and probably three podiums stolen away from him this year by poor reliability, and NOT ONE of his dnf's have been an error on his part.

He's had seven dnfs - five from the car breaking down, and two from someone running in to him.

Last year he got criticism for not being a good enough 'blocker' - fighting to retain position in a slower car is how I view it - now this year he warrants criticism for doing a bloody good job at keeping the (much faster) McLaren of DLR behind him?
  • I've never heard anyone say he wasn't a good blocker, anyone who has ever said that is obviously not watching the same races as I am.

Where has he lost a podium, other than Monaco? I said the car has reliability problems, but he hasn't been running very good anyway. It's been a disappointing two seasons. Last year, he was outperformed by Heidfeld, and this season, is marginally beating a rookie. Of course, it's not a surprise that someone in Australia is standing up for Webber, and also not a surprise for someone at a Minardi forum to be standing up for him. But the fact is, he's been a disappointment at Williams.
  • Well Williams have been a big disappointment to him as well, I think it's fair to say. He joined a team with a stable design structure and a works engine deal, that actually won the last race of 2004.

Now the design team (Terzi, Zander, Fisher) have all gone - and haven't been replaced - and the works engine deal is gone too. I think his loyalty has been remarkable considering he could have left them as his contract apparently stipulates a works engine deal be in place.

Certain podiums lost: Monaco, Australia. Likely podiums lost: Malaysia.

Did you watch Spain last year? Webber was practically a matador in that he didn't really fight too hard to retain position (Fisichella, Button) and got slated for it in the press and by the Williams fans. This year, a completely different scenario: he had a car that was very fast at the start of the year but is now lagging for three reasons:

1. Cosworth don't have the budget to push their engine work as hard as the manufacturors can. Despite this, they are doing a stellar job.

2. The car's aero is still a massive weakness, as it was last year. I doubt having an ex-Prost & Minardi man as Head of Aero is resulting in a particularly cutting edge & effective design. The car is still competitive on tight and twisty layouts where aero is less critical (like Monaco, and Hungary) and mechanical grip is more critical. Williams have excellent mechanical grip.

3. Williams have clearly viewed this as a transitional year, and as they didn't capitalise on their great opportunities early in the season (when they were seriously competitive), they are seemingly putting their efforts into 2007 when it's likely Toyota will be on board in a semi-works capacity.

Consequently, Webber is resigned to try to (yet again) keep uncompetitive machinery at the pointy end. The only reason he played 'blocker' on Sunday was because he actually had the ability to jump DLR and DC at the start, a far cry from the BMW launch control days. If he hadn't jumped a faster car in DLR, he wouldn't have had to resort to blocking now would he? Nico also blocked the crap out of Liuzzi in the USA to no avail, obviously the Williams was shit there too.

I'll happily admit last year was a struggle, and it was often a case of Webber overdriving the car after he quaified well and then saw his efforts go to waste with a terrible launch control system from BMW that saw both Heidfeld and Webber lose two or three places off the line. He then went a bit 'banzai' trying to reclaim the lost places.

As for Nico Rosberg...... Webber has easily had him covered in every race that the car has held up in. As far as I can recall, Nico hasn't led Mark home at even one GP where both cars have been reliable.

[Edited on 18-7-06 by MinardiP1]
  • So there you go.........alrighty.

Boring, boring, boring. I swear, only Melbourne and Monaco were good races. The rest were shit. Melbourne because of the weather, and Monaco because its tight and twisty.

There may have been more, but stuffed if I want to remember such a boring season.

Ferrari - looking ominous
    Renault - looking over their shoulder
    Mclaren - looking down
    Toyota - looking relieved
    Honda - looking glum
    Williams - looking to the heavens
    BMW - looking ugly
    Midland - looking nowhere
    Aguri - looking to Germany
    STR - looking better
    RBR - Just looking
  • Williams have been a disappointment, but Webber still seems to be all potential, and he's got to reach that sometime, no matter what team he's with. It reminds me a lot of Fisichella, who was always considered quick, but was always in bad cars. And, as we all know, now Fisi is in a good car and has been a bit of a disappointment in the eyes of many.
  • Rekart, I agree with you on Fisichella, but he's been in F1 since 1997 remember. Possibly late '96?????

Webber only started in 2002, so when he gets a car that can at least compete at the front without breaking down all the time, it will be time to judge impartially.

:)