Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Oz GP

One-two for Brawn, McLaren battling it out with Toro Rosso and Force India... who would have thunk... our Friends at Williams are looking good as well. But the first race can be deceiving, I'm sure McLaren will be back further down the line...

Comments

• Just got back from the track.

I've got to say that the cars are ugly in the flesh. Still sound great though.

Brawn look the goods.

Also saw the Minardi two seater and Paul Stoddart himself in the garage, filling up the drinks fridge. It's good to be hands on.

And viges, no Carlton Draughts to be seen. But they now have Boags draught, brewed in Tasmania and a nice drop.

Here's hoping an ex Minardi can pull it of.

Well, we can dream.
  • Albert Park. Earl of Melbourne. Queen Victoria. God Save the Queen.

You beauty.

What a fairytale! Pass me a cold one, Roo.

(PS I know the cars look ugly but the overtaking is beautiful).
  • Aussies love an underdog, and whenever a Brawn (or Webber) topped the timesheets during practice or Quali there was a big cheer.
  • Roo, Brawn are hardly an underdog. Hond put a lead time of 16 months and £180 million into that chassis.
    Albert Park is an anomalous track. Lets see where everyone is at Malaysia. Brawn seem only to have a 0.3s advantage over the runners without a split level diffusor.
    Agree entirely about the front wings. They are knocked off to easily. Look to the FIA to mandate a narrowing to put them within the width of the front wheels.
  • if you play the race slowly, it's almost an F3 race you're seeing
  • Sadly, Melbourne is one of the few races that I will watch in its entirety this year. Just can't handle the late nights anymore.

What an interesting race though. The Sawbones' observation about Albert Park, whilst dragged out every single year after Melbourne (check the files folks),is no less pertinent for the repetition. Can't help wonder though, how big is the advantage that Broooooooooorn team have. Button was playing with the gap that he had on Vettel, and the fastest laps show that he was never pushed very hard.

The big guns are scared, and they are saying so. I reckon that there are folks back at team headquarters doing double tides to get new diffusers ready ASAP.

It was good to see the overtaking, though I'm no fan of the mandatory use of all tyre types. Melbourne had fairly cool track temps, so goodness knows how long the green thingies will last elsewhere (Malaysia, Brazil, etc. I really don't think that the result should come down to who is smarter at knowing when to use them. Indeed, those decisions will be based more on where you finish in qualifying than anything else.

As for KERS.......Cher-ist! That one will destroy some ambitions before the year is out. And what about Monaco? Seven seconds of opportunity to plough into the back of someone, or end up in the bay. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Congratulations to the young smart-mouth though. He drove perfectly, and got a well-deserved win. As for rubens........someone explain to me how Vettel is in the sin-bin, whilst Rubens is standing on the podium???? How many peoples' races did he wreck? when Ralfie used him for a springboard on the first corner some years back, they crucified the Kraut, even though Rubens jinked right in front of him. This time he drives INTO people on no less than two occasions, and there is not even an investigation. I think that Charlie Whiting needs to get his hand off his dick and onto the telphone to call his retirement fund to start the money flowing. It's time to go old fella.

Good work by Hamilton. These are the races that will give him character, and show what he is really like.

So on to Malaysia where the last corner will be the place to be if you are there. With the KERS crowd using that straight to do their overtaking, and the little green tyres fading under the heavy braking, it will be where the most action will be.
  • Yes, thank-you to our Australian friends for the civilised start time although I do almost miss getting up at 3am for Albert Park. That's the price you pay for staying first race of the year but once Bernie goes I am afraid Melbourne is toast. Ron Walker gets the best "mates' rates" of anyone.

PS: did you hear Rubens joking with Jense and Jarno about his crashes, just before they went to the podium?

[Edited on 31-3-09 by viges]