Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Fun with Google Earth

2»

Comments

• Brroksey, I found Mount Panarama, but you actually have to tilt the map and reference off the mountain to make sense of the track.

I was wondering if some of the cities were not high-res due to terrorism, or something.

As for currency, I was able to pretty much establish that the Canberra shots were taken in May - July of 2003 due to the status of works at my house (main house complete - deck not yet built).

This thing is going to be really useful before travelling somewhere. One of the things that I hate is not being able to orient myself in a strange environment. This thing will be a big help before going.
  • I'd agree. Sydney shots are from mid-2003, as construction hasn't begun on the M7 link yet, and Wonderland hasn't been taken over by factory units.
  • P1, to save, there is a Save Image ( e.g. as jpg) on the File menu. It saves more cleanly than screen grab (Alt Prtscr) which is also useful but tends to include Window frames unless you fill the screen first.

I agree with Lease that the tilt function is handy.
    You can rotate first to any angle then tilt to get the required view. How many images did they have to take to get that feature or is it simulated using the elevation and shadows?

Anyone found any windows and doors on the hidden side of buildings?

This would be great for use with a GPS.
    Find the coordinates then hone in on your location using GPS.

Never need be lost again?;)

[Edited on 12/7/2005 by Dr_Spin]
  • This thing has me hooked!

35 degrees 9 minutes 28.73 seconds South - 147 degrees 27 minutes 55.36 seconds East is the actual hangar in the RAAF Tech School where I learned how to do airplane stuff! Clear as a bell.
  • Found it, Lease. That's a pretty big hangar.

My cinema can be found at 32 degrees 10 minutes 21.86 seconds South - 152 degrees, 29 minutes 52.53 seconds East. It's got a nice concrete carpark around it and there's a roundabout about 50m to the sountheast.

Post your house locations, guys! :)

My house is at 32 degress 12 minutes 13.13 seconds South - 152 degrees 31 minutes 56.57 seconds East. It's the one with the black roof in the cul de sac.
  • Speaking of the RAAF - i've been at the Richmond base all morning (2 minute drive from my house) watching the F18's practice landings. Good fun sitting near the end of the runway as they fly right over your head! :D
  • Found it, Lease. That's a pretty big hangar.
    As a matter of fact it was built in 1944 by the USAAF. They had a big training contingent there and built a lot of the facillities. That hangar actually has full air conditioning, parquetry flooring (over its whole expanse), and about a dozen class rooms and workshops on various levels apended to its sides. It constituted the entrie Engine training faculty in my time.

• Post your house locations, guys! :)
    The images of holmfirth where I live are pretty low res. You cant really see my house but is is :- 53°34'20.69"N 1°46'59.59"W

The landscape is green and undulating with the peak district just a couple of miles to the south west.

Quite different compared to my last place in bow, london.
    51°31'53.89"N 0° 1'59.61"W

[Edited on 13/7/2005 by JumpeySpyder]