Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The OZgp thread

Friday practise 1: most topteams' racecars didn't do timed laps !

Friday practise 2:

Friday Practice Session 2
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIRE TIME
1. Anthony Davidson British Honda 1:26.822
2. Alexander Wurz Austria Williams-Cosworth 1:26.832
3. Robert Kubica Poland Sauber-BMW 1:27.200
4. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:27.213
5. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault 1:27.443
6. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari 1:27.658
7. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.773
8. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:28.075
9. Juan Pablo Montoya Colombia McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.200
10. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:28.227
11. Giancarlo Fisichella Italy Renault 1:28.280
12. Jacques Villeneuve Canada Sauber-BMW 1:28.440
13. David Coulthard Britain Red Bull-Ferrari 1:28.531
14. Mark Webber Australia Williams-Cosworth 1:28.860
15. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-BMW 1:29.053
16. Jarno Trulli Italy Toyota 1:29.138
17. Scott Speed United States Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:29.196
18. Ralf Schumacher Germany Toyota 1:29.379
19. Tiago Monteiro Portugal MF1-Toyota 1:29.713
20. Robert Doornbos Netherlands Red Bull-Ferrari 1:29.876
21. Christian Klien Austria Red Bull-Ferrari 1:29.879
22. Nico Rosberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1:29.933
23. Neel Jani Switzerland Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:30.686
24. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:30.734
25. Christijan Albers Netherlands MF1-Toyota 1:30.830
26. Markus Winkelhock Germany MF1-Toyota 1:31.260
27. Takuma Sato Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:32.556
28. Yuji Ide Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:34.224

Comments

• davidson 1 wurz 2 has become a regular sight on fridays this year...
  • Wurz was onthop alot last year as well. Still defies me why he never got a real F1 seat.
  • I'm watching the qualification. And there are some rumors that say that Albers' car has a V10 in it, that Midland is making sound like a V8.

Apparantly it will be investigated by the FIA after the race.
  • button on pole, well done

have toyota made it through the dark tunnel? ;-)
  • Was there today, courtesy of an early morning call from Superoo.

Lovely seats right opposite the pit exit and just a little up from the finish line.

So many impressions; qualifying was a lot of fun. Just the first 15 of the last session are a bit dodgy.
  • and, in line with tradition since 2000: no pictures...
  • So, Speed got a point in the race.

But after the race it was taken from him and he got a $5000,- fine !!!

Did you hear RBR on the radio to DC: You have GOT to overtake Scott !!!

And Renault to Fisico: you're 2 sec. slower as Alonso. You can't be 2 sec. slower. Come ON!
    :D
  • ha ha, the $5,000 fine was for foul and abusive language towards Coulthard!
  • Well, well well, what a race. The only thing we didn't have was a kangaroo jump in front the cars. Shades of 2002.

All Michellin runners struggled for heat in the tyres except for Alonso. Webber had a great chance for a podium, but it looks like Williams seamless gearbox is not quite seamless.

Lease, glad you enjoyed yourself, as it turned out there were so many empty seats behind me on race day I could have got you in plus the rest of your family, and also any FM members who wanted to go.

Melbourne always seems to bring up unusual results, and unusual driving habits. Must be the beer!

Montoya, Rubens and Fisi need to have a hard look at themselves. Add Massa to that list.

If Williams can get their reliability right, they will be the top Bridgestone team.

TOIT add them to the list. Williams really showed them up on tyre selection. Looks like Wurz's technical feedback is paying in bucket loads.

Super Aguri, great effort by Sato to keep Rubens at bay for that long.

STR, despite what some people here think they did well, up until Tonio's impersonation of a crash test dummy.

BMW and Ralf, well done however were flattered by attrition. But you need to finish, and that's what matters.

Fernando, It's only round three and it already looks like MS's 2004 will be revisted. Not what Max and Burnie want.

I think some drivers need to be more alert on the restarts, Jenson! I know he had issues with his tyres, but he made it so easy.

Roll on Imola.

[Edited on 2-4-0606 by SuperRoo]
  • Certainly was an entertaining race, but was there ever any doubt about Fernando after the start?

Interesting to hear the Fish getting shit from his chief mechanic. I thought those guys were supposed to be in your corner? One could be excused for wondering whether he was just being tolerated in that team.

Not sure that I agree with Webber being hard done by. At the time that he went out, I'm sure that the ti9mer showed that he only had 27 seconds on Ralfie. Would have been close, I reckon. The lesson surely is 'don't go long in places like Melbourne and Monaco. The safety car will get you every time.

On Staurday, whilst sitting in the stands during qualifying there popped up a picture of Martin Brundle on the big screen, looking pensive. Why show that goose, thought I. At home the next day looking at the telly, I was surprised and absolutely delighted that instead of taking the ITV commentary team, that for a change channel ten used their own team, including.................Murray Walker! Yep, Muzza started with 'GO GO GO at the Australian Grand Prix!!!! and never looked back. It was classic stuff, with Murray getting confused at every opportunity; including - and irony is a sweet thing - calling the STR of Scott Speed, David Coulthard for quite some time. Absolutely terrific stuff.

Was amazed to hear the Swervemaker being interviewed about his off. The guy snuck in a question about him being behind an STR and whether they had an unfair advantage. No comes back the reply; they are just good today. Go figure.
  • On the US coverage of the race Peter Windsor had said that when he was talking to Trulli he heard the radio to Fisichella from the Renault pit and Trulli said not much has changed at Renault, they have just inserted Fisi in the pit conversions instead of Trulli.
  • Originally posted by Lease
    Not sure that I agree with Webber being hard done by. At the time that he went out, I'm sure that the ti9mer showed that he only had 27 seconds on Ralfie. Would have been close, I reckon. The lesson surely is 'don't go long in places like Melbourne and Monaco. The safety car will get you every time.
    Were you watching the same race as me?

Webber had already done Ralf once, and according to grandprix.com had another six laps of fuel left to burn. He was EASILY the heaviest car in the top 10 and thus did an outstanding job in qualifying to get it to 7th. At the time Ralf went into the pits, Webber was lapping over a half second faster than the Toyota, and with all that fuel still to burn. You'd think he'd be lapping at at least 1.5 seconds quicker than Ralf after Ralf's pitstop, and thus Mark should have been 35-40 seconds clear of Ralf by the time he pitted.
    Lifted from grandprix.com's Race Report
    On lap 22 an Australian led the Australian Grand Prix but the dancing on the streets in Queanbeyan did not last as long as it should have done. On lap 23 the Williams grumbled to a halt with a transmission failure and Alonso was back in the lead. Mark was due to run another six laps before his planned stop, which would have given him a big advantage and probably a podium as well.
  • No, I don't agree with all of it.

Webber had a slow lap, the lap before he went out after making a mistake, so he had lost a fair advantage. Yes, he put a good move on Ralf early on, but had not managed to maintain much of a speed advantage IMHO.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have got Ralf in the end, just that it wasn't a done deal.

One of the things that impressed folks when Webber was with Minardi, and his early days at Jag was his ultra-consistent lap times. That just doesn't seem to be the case anymore and he seems to manage some sort of 'incident' pretty much every race.

I want the boy to go well as much as any other Canberian, but that shouldn't stop one from maintaining objectivity. If we cast our thoughts back to Rosberg's fastest laps a couple of races back, then Webber's performances deserve a little bit of a hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
  • Great race; Alonso is pure class and says Jense wasn't warming his tyres properly behind the safety car; mind you, the Honda isn't generating grip at the best of times. Can't believe the prats on the perch went for 'jam tomorrow' at Imola - wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • The form sheet is well established. I wonder how those pundits who claimed it would take 3 years for BMW to make an impact. Those cars were lapping on the same pace as the MacLarens.
    Williams, same shit different motor. TOIT same shit same motor. Time for the swervemaker to hang up his driving boots.
    Could someone please tell me again why they hired Massa?
  • I was sad about button but happy that str lost the point. the v10 is giving them undue advantage over other teams.

so the first three races came and gone and still str = 0 points despite their V10.
  • It wasn't that great of a race. Yes, it was full of accidents but I didn't see a lot of class-driving and the last third was pretty boring.
  • You weren't there, it was fantastic from start to finish Biker. Maybe being there makes it all more exciting...

Petrol - the Williams, McLaren, Renault, Honda, Ferrari, and probably Toyota all have the BMWs covered. They would have been lucky to get points yesterday without the retirements. Yes, you have to finish first, but it's easier to make a faster car reliable than make a slower car faster. Heidfeld is a sublime driver though, and if he 'publicised' himself more and had a real personality he would be a driver in a top team, no doubt.

I'd put Heidfeld above Button frankly, and probably Montoya.
  • Fast but thick - I've said it about Massa all along. Wonderful shot in The Guardian today of him momentarily sandwiched between Rosberg & Klein as carbon fibre shatters everywhere.

re: Fisico. Alan Henry of The Guardian (and F1 Racing) fights his corner. He argues the car's electronics were f*cked including the clutch; with that knowledge the boy did well.
  • I really feel sorry for Fisi. His race mechanic did him no favours with his comments over the radio. The guy was driving at 110 per cent.
    As for Massa, Todt is not known for his loyalty. I'm sure Di Montezemolo is already asking about the get out clauses in Massa's contract.
  • I agree the team radio comment to Fisi and the tone was out of line.

Somehow I don't feel at all sorry for Todt and Brawn, as they face failure again. What goes around, comes around.

...not that they care one iota about our feelings, of course.

Spin
  • Fisico had done better than Fernando in qual. i'd be a little pissed off in his place (how come in renault they have problems only eith his car?).
    Same old line.

Did Barrichello quit F1?
  • Barichello who?
  • This is his farewell year, I do believe. Kind of like Piquet at Bennetton, minus the prior success.
  • Yes, wonderful times for TOIT; my only pang of concern is for Faenza old boy Aldo Costa - not his fault I'm sure but things turned to crap the moment he took over from Byrne.
  • Yes, Costa looks like copping a lot of flak. TOIT deserve no sympathy at all. They are a bunch of mercenaries who have no appreciation of the Prancing Horse's heritage.
    I fear Barrichello has done a Hill and retired before he stopped driving. When one thinks of all the years he was complaining of not being able to race at TOIT.
    PS GREAT RACE! Whats more incredible is that it was great racing on a street track!
  • I was sitting about 100m from where that action took place, viges. :)
  • Michael's old "MOVE! Red car coming through!" line isn't working for Massa.

Trouble is there's so many cars with red wings, red noses that TOIT have lost that advantage.

Had to happen :)

Spin
  • P1 - I too have fond memories of that corner from four years ago.

Strewth Roo, it's four years! Pass me a cold one.

Melbourne is the best GP I've been too. Barca is a close second.

Imola was fab for Minardi reasons but as an 'event' it is marked down - particularly the trains back to Bologna!

[Edited on 4-4-0606 by viges]