Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

World Cup

Comments

• Bad luck Holland, but the signs were there during the friendly with Australia that there was improvement needed.
  • Ruud VAN NISTELROOIJ (NED)
    We’re angry and disappointed. We had plenty of chances, but that’s football for you. It’s awful sitting on the bench. You’re a fan and a player rolled into one.

BUT WHY was he on the bench?????????????????? I had a much better opinion of Van Basten!
  • What is it with this world cup.

Terrible referees make yet another victim.
    Typical Italian win.

[Edited on 26-6-06 by Stan]
  • He went for the ball not the player.
    Penalty my arse.
  • just...... gutted. :(

4th game in a row that Australia has gotten the rough end of the ref's pineapple.

makes no sense to me, it really doesn't.

I'm so proud of our team.
  • I am really proud of our boys, they played with class and fairness thorugout this tournament. They took the game to a powerhouse of Europe and we matched them all the way. They could only beat us with a dive. How disappointed I would be to be Italian tonight.

I hope they can sleep well tonight knowing they had to resort to that to win, because all of Australia can, our boys played great football.

Thank you for giving your all Australia, you make this Aussie proud.
  • I feel like going out and thumping an Italian. And i've never felt like this before.

Those Italians parading around Norton Street would do.
  • lucky bastards...

guys, come back in 4 years time and take revenge! good to see this is a truly global sport now
  • My heart bleeds for the Aussies. The penalty was a certain give-away !! What a shame. Typical Italian "clevernes". I hate it. Lippi even had the nerve to compliment the referee for giving a deserved penalty.....

The game itself wasn't that good. Both Italy and Australia didn't show any real class (neither did Holland - or Portugal - yesterday). Let's hope there 'll be better football in the next games.
  • Australia lacks finishing finesse, and has for a long time. Viduka is a big unit who is just another striker in the Premiership, but on the world stage he gets marked like no one else and can't use his power and strength as easily.

We can get the ball into the penalty area, but then the slick passing suddenly drys up. :(
  • Australia, was fantastic all tournament. Sure the penalty was controversial, but it is only one step. We have been in the football wilderness for 32 years. Finally this country has woken up that they do have a fine football team. Lets hope the domestic league gets the support that it needs so the next generation of Aussie footballers dont go playing for Croatia, Greece, Italy...They now know the national team can mix it and beat the big teams.

For whatever reason we have been world or olympic champs in just about every team sport there is or have been top 5(except the rubbish they play in America). Lets hope we put in the effort to support this team as it battles in probably the only real world sport, apart from "baseball", there is.

Yes we love our Cricket, Aussie Rules, Rugby Leage and Union. But I have never seen any team supported nationally like this team has.

Don't cry over spilt milk. The Italians are masters at milking a penalty, it was always on. Just ask the English how they felt about Maradonnas "hand of God". "We wuz wobbed" pft, probably. At this level sometimes sportsmanship takes second place.

Well done lads, you've done Australia proud.

We can get the ball into the penalty area, but then the slick passing suddenly drys up.
    That's a combination of inexperience at this level, a dour Italian defence, and deficiences in technique. We really need Guus to lead us into the next campaign to get that experience. Alas, he will be going to Russia.

If rumours are true it could be Sven to take charge. Hope not!

[Edited on 27-6-06 by SuperRoo]
  • I know I may not be the most popular guy around here but from an Italian fan's perpective I think that it was Australia that gave the game away. They did not manage to take the full advantage of playing a full half with one man extra. The finishing needs to be improved in the future as Italy's goalie had only two saves to do if I am not mistaken.
    As regards the penalty, yes it was a controversial decision but I think it was a fair call. Blocking an opponent in football is a foul, and unfortunately for the defender, that was what he done, even though I am not sure of his intention. Grosso's run was spectacular however, coming from a player that was running flat out for 90 minutes.
    As regards Marterazzi's sending off, I am not sure that this should have happened, a yellow card would have been enough. Yes it was a foul, but not a very cruel one. We have seen worst fouls getting a yellow card or none.
    I appreciate the efforts made by the Aussies and they should really be complimented for the improvements they have made in the world of football. It is also unfortunate that they have lost the game in such a manner, however that is football, and if you do not take the opportunities, it can bounce back to you. Italy's defence is very good and I can see they can go very far. Again, my compliments for all Aussies, you have a good team which should be taken care of for the next competition. Hard luck.
  • "For whatever reason we have been world or olympic champs in just about every team sport there is or have been top 5(except the rubbish they play in America)."

he he I like that!
  • I think all Australians would agree we didn't take our opportunities fully Neil, but i'd rather lose 5-0 than go out in such a controversial manner.

With the game 0-0 and time lass than 10 seconds from expiring, the ref should have eaten his whistle and let the game go to extra time.

and i'd agree with you that the Italian sent off was hard done by.
  • Gawd help you.

Bad luck Aussie. Sporting 'luck' tends to even out. Italy were v unlucky in Korea four years ago.
  • Where's Webber's luck gone then? ;)

• but I think it was a fair call
    Neil, you must be joking!!
  • I'm afraid I'd describe the Australian team as naive. At this level if you defend in the Penalty area STAY ON YOUR FEET. To do a sliding tackle in the penalty area is asking for a penalty!
  • I bet the ref got a call from Luciano Moggi..........
  • In all fairness I think that the best way that the game could have proceeded was 11 vs 11 players. It was a nice game until then.... anyway, italy are through now together with Ucraine, England, Portugal, Germany, Argentina and tonight either Brasil/Ghana or Spain/France.
    Spain has impressed me a lot even though they need some improvement in the defence. Who knows if Ghana will provide us with a big nice surprise?
  • Same old Spain. Long on promises.

Allez les Bleus!
  • It seams that the teams which started with all guns blazing are falling by the wayside when it comes to the business end. I had Spain pencilled in for the semi's at least.
  • Yes the trick is to peak at the end not at the start!!!!

Yesterday Spain was very disappointing....
  • Spain, big time chokers ever since the Armada!
  • 28 June 2006
    BEER WE GO
    Germans fear weii going to drink them dry
    By Jeremy Armstrong
    ENGLAND's massive army of World Cup fans is drinking Germany dry, it emerged yesterday.

Breweries warned beer could run out before the final because of huge demand from our supporters.

In Nuremberg, organisers revealed 70,000 England fans who flooded the city drank 1.2MILLION pints of beer - an average of 17 pints each.

Astonished bar keeper Herrmann Murr said: "Never have I seen so many drink so much in such little time."

His bar at a fans' tent in the city ran out after they drained all 32 of his 50-litre (11 gallon) barrels.

Herr Murr calculated Britons were shifting beer at a staggering rate of 200 pints per minute.

City official Peter Murrmann said: "The English proved themselves world champs. They practically drank us dry."

In Cologne, where England drew with Sweden, bottles and barrels of the local K?lsch beer ran out because so many English took them to campsites and parties.

Stuttgart bar chiefs said an extra 900,000 pints were sunk last weekend where 60,000 fans partied before and after our 1-0 win over Ecuador.

The Veltins brewery also revealed it has produced a record 418,000 gallons in a bid to keep up with demand.

A spokesman said: "It is incredible how much is being drunk but the hardest thing for the breweries is keeping up with the thirst of the English."

In Dortmund, where most fans for England's Gelsenkirchen clash against Portugal on Saturday are staying, the giant DAB brewery is bracing itself by ferrying in extra supplies to boost production.
  • Same thing happened here for the Rugby World Cup in 04'. Dry as a dead Dingo's donga.
  • Makes yer proud.
  • Understandable.
    If I was english, I'd drink until I forgot I was English.
  • Well done italy, what a match! 3-0 against ukraine, ukraine were never really in the match! now italy - germany! surely our old man GCM is happy!
  • hehe, gotta love those pieces on BBC news where they warn about the effects of binge drinking. twice a year or so they ask themselves whether Britain's a nation of alcoholics. Then they decide that, yes they are, and move on until someone mentions it again...