Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Minardi Team USA (it's official)

Comments

• wooooooooohoooooo!!!!
  • Isn't there already some kind of club with an email-address that starts with minardiusa ?? ;):P
  • Is that really the logo?
  • Pretty bad if so.
  • Someone else's team, someone else's name.
  • Great news.

WELCOME TO AMERICA! Ever since the guy sold out I thought CART would be a natural fit for him.
  • That's great to hear. Now we only need Jos in the mix :P
    Oh wait here he comes.
  • it will be a multi car line up so if Doornbos doesn't get an F1 gig, he, jos, zsolt and maybe Friesacher are all in the frame
  • btw, I heard from the birds in the tree that GCM will be involved to a certain extent
  • 2 cars for wiggy 2 cars for stoddart
  • Paul said that running 4 cars would probably be a bit too much and that 3 is their aim.
  • One thing I'm interested to see is what livery the cars will run. Maybe Orange/Black and white for Muermans on one car is a good bet. The other two should be interesting and most probably will be Wiggins job to get the other two cars sponsored. I can just see a Domino's Pizza Minardi USA or the like. The new Panoz has 11% more space for Advertising (although god knows where) bet not a lot of people knew that. It was a condition of the design contract. Good luck Stoddie I hope you dont fall out with our guys over here. Finally what is going to happen to Cedric now?

[Edited on 18-12-06 by spark]
  • Well anything that brings dst out of retirement can't be all bad. Emmett needs you now more than ever Don.

It's nice, and all that, but it aint F1.

So what is the GCM connection?
  • the name
  • Originally posted by spark
    One thing I'm interested to see is what livery the cars will run. Maybe Orange/Black and white for Muermans on one car is a good bet. The other two should be interesting and most probably will be Wiggins job to get the other two cars sponsored. I can just see a Domino's Pizza Minardi USA or the like. The new Panoz has 11% more space for Advertising (although god knows where) bet not a lot of people knew that. It was a condition of the design contract. Good luck Stoddie I hope you dont fall out with our guys over here. Finally what is going to happen to Cedric now?

[Edited on 18-12-06 by spark]
    If it's Stoddart's decision I'm sure the cars will be primarily black.

You're right James, the name. I'd add the spirit of the thing as well. That travels, and isn't unique to Minardi, Faenza, Stoddart or GCM, ask Dale Coyne and he'll tell you about the spirit of Plainfield, Illinois. It's much the same thing.

Lease - What do you mean? Does Emmett need talking off the ledge or something?

[Edited on 19-12-06 by dst]
  • No, he just hasn't got anyone to drag on, and on about the finer points of domestic policy.

Instead he struts around like a fundamentalist Taliban Mullah taking pot shots at anything that isn't GCM/Faenza specific.

Perhaps a nice little Roe v Wade chat might help him to slide back into relative normality.
  • Originally posted by Lease
    Instead he struts around like a fundamentalist Taliban Mullah taking pot shots at anything that isn't GCM/Faenza specific.
    Thats not fair. I took a shot at "cricket" and nobody wanted to play.

Kisses Don!
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    Thats not fair. I took a shot at "cricket" and nobody wanted to play.
    Couple weeks ago I walk outside my house and in the park across from my house some people where playing cricket., being in Texas I more expected to see American football or baseball which I more commonly see out there. Crickit is just one game I don't get at all. I guess I'm stuck on the terminology. Maybe I'll ask someone when I'm in London in a few weeks or if I can get an explanation while in India.
  • Don't try to get it.

You MUST be borne to the game. There is no other way.
  • God Night work sucks! My friend at Autosport ensures me there is and has been no contact between Stoddart and GCM. He was speaking to Giancarlo's secretary who said a press release will be forthcoming but GCM has no involvement in the champcar series. When asked about the use of the Minardi Name she refused to comment. The way he see's it is possibly Stoddart mayoffer GCM an olive leaf and try to get him to bless the team. But an issue which may yet arise is the merchandise rights to the name Minardi Team. The Italian team has a online shop selling Minardi Team Gear worldwide. This could be a thorny issue.
  • Intersting. The logo is not thta of Minardi since the lettering is different and it lacks the lion logo as well. Just using the Minardi name is unlikely to be a problem as it looks nothing like the well recognised logo used in F1.
  • Q&A with Stoddard, click here

Stoddart
  • I don't think there are any thorny issues.

1) I'm pretty sure that GCM was kept informed throughout this deal

2) I'd have a hard time making a case that Stoddart has nothing to do with the Minardi name as he owned the team for 5 years. If anything has been sold on, it has been sold on to Red Bull.

3) Litigating in Italy is so time consuming that he could use that name for 10 years before anything is decided (google "Italian torpedo").

I'm actually amazed that people aren't happy that this great name is in top level racing again. As the pinnacle of motorsport goes, this might not be the Everest but the K2 it is. Guys, you could have your "Minardi Fest" right on your door step, what's the problem?
  • I'm sure to be at the Houston Champ Car race, originally I was just going to go to the American Le Mans Series race, but this gives me a reason to see the Champ Car race..
  • Forzaminardi my friend Jonathan Noble at Autosport is one of the most respected journalists in motorsport. I would have no reason to doubt him in what he says. This morning he sent me an email which without going into detail was from Graham Jones at F1x2 who says that sometime in the new year Stoddart may try and meet GCM and discuss the Champ Car series with him. He (Mr Jones) also told Jonathan GCM has nothing to do with the Champ car team. The thorny issue may be for GCM and his team. I may not have been clear on this. As Stoddart owns the International rights to Minardi, Minardi Team Merchandise would also be his right therefore issue arises. Do you really think Champ Car is like K2? Not in this country bud. It's a poor 3rd behind NASCAR and IRL. European and Japanese F3000 series are way ahead in terms of quality and class. All American racing is just mobile billboards which do however move very fast. Hope this clears up the GCM involvement issue. Next weeks Autosport will have all this.
  • yeah, but in your country NASCAR is everything and even F1 is something for the expert fan
  • I agree with you but over here its TV ratings that matter and the truth is when motorsport matters NASCAR is the big one. Have you ever been to a NASCAR event? Fanatical is how I would describe one. If F1 got more mainstream coverage and the racing was good it would have a larger following. One thing to remember Champ car is no more technically advanced than European F3000 or indeed Formula Renault. It's a mass produced product for a american audience who want to watch Road Racing. Just like NASCAR and IRL are for Ovals. All have their own strange rules and regs. The Washington Post would probably have 2 to 3 column inches on any champ car race on a "Filler Page" in it's sports section (F1 would have more if Ferrari wins) NASCAR would make up say 1/4 page. If it's not Football, Baseball, Basketball or Hockey season it might make more. I have to admit I am amazed that the Europeans are so into Champ Car are the Aussies also? Do all the races get shown live on TV? I cant remember seeing any when I lived over then again I did not hace cable. I miss going to Mondello to see the British F3 now that was racing!