Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

World Cup

2»

Comments

• Habana is amazing
    how fast is that guy? for his last try I'm sure he ran 100 metres in under 10 seconds, jawdropping stuff
  • Hmm time for some rational thought. Of the two teams playing last night Argentina were the more adventurous. They decided to play a running game which shows there are not just a stick it up the jersey team.
    Having said that they looked tired which might explain the numerous handling errors.
    The Ref was a complete joke which took away from the occasion.
    As for Saturday's match this could be quite a turgid, dull affair. One team wants to prey on the oppositions mistakes ( South Africa) and the othere wants to hoof the ball into the opposition's 22 and wait for the drop goal attempts. Under these circumstances its too easy to smother each other's game plan.
    Finally something has to be done about getting Argentina into the Tri-Nations. Their Rugby Union have a right to feel aggrieved the have only played 20 test matches in the past 4 years between the World Cups. One wag has suggested the delay is due to the Southern hemisphere Unions not wanting to share their lucrative TV deals. Now that is a disgrace!
  • As I understood it, the quid pro quo for NZ hosting the next World Cup was Argie's acceptance into the Tri Nations (they swapped their casting vote against Japan at the last moment; all rather squalid).

Mind you, it makes more sense for them to play in the Seven Nations with a base in Spain; most of their players are up here.
  • + club rugby in Argentina is strictly amateur.

This is a great book by the Sunday Times correspondent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midnight-Rugby-Triumph-Shambles-Professional/dp/0747264945/ref=sr_1_2/203-9830988-9310308?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192512669&sr=8-2

its about rugby and professionalism around the world but the stuff on Argentina is memorable + the Lions, which he much prefers to the World Cup.

[Edited on 16-10-07 by viges]
  • I will have to look at that. I don't think playing in Spain would be a good option if they want to promote the game in Argentina.
    PS did you know that Argentina should be known as the Jaguars and not the Pumas. The Jaguar is the most reverred animal in Inca mythology in fact the Inca society was controlled by the Jaguar priests.
  • of course there were copyright issues there ;)
  • france were just pathetic yesterday especially at the beginning of the second half... crowned by trading sissy punches in the dying stages of the game of which I have to say I (and I'm not an expert by any definition) see a clear proliferation at this world cup... bad tackles that go uncalled and defending teams that rough up the player who scores a try. is it just me?
  • RJ, for all the complexities of its laws Rugby remains a simple game. Stay on your feet and keep ball in hand. Roughing up the opposition is all part of the game.
    France have been destroyed by Laporte. He should have a place reserved in the Bastille rather than in Sarco's cabinet. He's taken a good team 10 year's backwards.
    Argentina, what can I say, they played one bad game and suffered under the Bok's Unholy Trinity of negative rugby, turnover ruck ball, fumbles and interceptions. Last night Argentina destroyed France playing running rugby. They are like a version of the All Blacks playingin celestial Blue.
  • guess i need to rephrase that: all the pushing and shoving in whichever form is part of the game; attempting to punch your opponent in the face after he scored a try (as the french dude tried yesterday) is poor form at best
  • bleh... that was a game of ping pong if anything :o
  • I'm afraid the brand of Rugby played in the final was not a good show piece for the sport.
  • Didn't see it, but that is irrelevant. I said that these two teams would produce a crap game.

Good luck to Sth Africa.
  • Well done the Boks. England did very well just to get there.

I would quite have enjoyed seeing 15 Afrikaaners flatten the AIDS-denying, Mugabe-supporting Thabo Mbeki in a 'just for fun' ruck at the end.
  • not many afrikaaners playing for the boks in the future by the looks of it.

didn't know mbeki was denying aids?
  • Just read that the Argies are pushing to play six nations, as most of the players are based in Europe. They have just made an application.

Australia & NZ are putting in programs to help Fiji, Tonga and Samoa become stronger.
  • Its a bit rich of Australia and NZ to decide to help the pacific islanders after years of taking their best talent. I thought the prefereed option Argentina was to play in the Tri-nations. As for entering the 6 nations I would not shed a tear to see Scotland ejected after their callous disregard to the spirit of the game against New Zealand!
    PS didnit the Boks just win the under 21 world cup with a fully representative rugby side. Looks like theirs plenty of talent on the veldts.
  • Thier looking at a combined Islander team entering the tri nations.

Maybe Argentina can form a tri nations with the US and Canada.
  • Yea, an islander team could work!