Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Toit allows Minardi to race the old car

Comments

• OOOoooooo! Get her!
  • Is this really a done deal:

Sport

Minardi's fate rests with rival

James Stanford
    645 words
    2 March 2005
    The Courier-Mail
    1 - First with the news
    English
    Copyright 2005 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

MOTORSPORT

FERRARI will decide today if Paul Stoddart's Minardi team can race at Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Stoddart needs Ferrari chief Jean Todt to sign an agreement that will clear his Minardi cars to race at Melbourne's Albert Park.

Todt has so far refused to agree to the proposal, even though all other Grand Prix teams have signed up.

If Stoddart fails to obtain Todt's signature, he may have to launch legal action to ensure his black racers hit the track for Friday's test session.

Minardi has not scored a point since Mark Webber's debut in 2002 and hardly poses a threat to Ferrari's bid for its fifth consecutive Formula One world championship.

After Webber's celebrated result, Minardi hosted the Ferrari team in Italy and took many of its personnel for a ride in Stoddart's three-seater F1 car.

However, the relationship has since soured.

"It just shows you how politics can ruin Formula One," Stoddart told The Courier-Mail yesterday.

"We used to struggle with McLaren and find support from Ferrari, but now we struggle with Ferrari and find support from McLaren."

Stoddart says Todt has twice refused to sign the agreement that would allow him to run the 2004 cars at the Australian Grand Prix, as long as they pass scrutineering, but expects he will sign-up today.

"I'm not nervous, I would say uneasy is the right word," Stoddart said. "Information from third parties in the paddock suggest we are going to be OK."

But the Coburg-born businessman concedes there is a chance, however small, that his team could be barred from racing this weekend.

The showdown between Ferrari and Minardi was triggered by a late rule change by grand prix governing body FIA at the end of last season.

Other teams had the resources to prepare new cars in time for the Australian Grand Prix but under-funded Minardi couldn't, especially as the future of its engine supplier Cosworth was unclear at that time.

All F1 teams except Ferrari are happy for Minardi to run an updated version of its 2004 cars at the first three rounds of the championship before upgrading to the new model for the first European race, in San Marino, on April 24.

Meanwhile, Briton Jenson Button has thrown a wet blanket on Mark Webber fever, querying whether the Australian has the goods to make it to the top in F1 racing.

Button, a former teammate of Webber, damned him with faint praise, describing him as a hard worker whose talent was inferior to the likes of Renault's young Spanish driver, Fernando Alonso.

Asked whether he saw Webber as a world championship contender, Button, No. 1 driver for BAR-Honda, said: "He was a test driver at Benneton when I was there. I think he works very hard but it's difficult to know how quick he is.

"People ask: `Is Mark going to challenge for the championship?' His best finish is in a Minardi three years ago which was fifth. It's difficult to know what to think.

"He's a very different driver to Alonso. For me, Alonso is more naturally talented. But I don't think he works hard enough at it."Webber, who has jumped into the hot seat at the high-profile Williams-BMW team this year after serving time at back-of-the-grid outfits Minardi and Jaguar, finds himself under pressure to perform in front of his own fans.

Already the Williams team bosses have signalled that the car, which has aerodynamic problems, is not ready to win.

Ironically, it would have been Button in that seat if his off-season bid to cross to Williams had not been barred by authorities.

• Did you know Bernie always gets seat A1
    Is that a booster chair?
    So he also acts like 'a chairman' ??
  • Minardi has not scored a point since Mark Webber's debut in 2002
    Where was this reporter in 2004 ????:o
  • The changes in qualifying and parc ferme regs were allinstigated under the guise of Sporting regs. An attempt to over turn them did not stand up in court.Make of that what you will
  • On Atlas: Minardi Still Waiting for Approval to Race

?????
  • On TV last night, paul was asked what would happen if TOIT don't sign. He said that TOIT won't look too good to Australians if they don't let Minardi race.
  • There are some things I dont understand.

What happened to the '05 aero that was tested? (and yes it was tested)

What happens if Minardi manage to score a point?
  • On TV last night, paul was asked what would happen if TOIT don't sign. He said that TOIT won't look too good to Australians if they don't let Minardi race.
    And does Minardi look good by competing to a different set of rules?

Plus - any good showing we do will have an asterisk next to it - grrrrrrr.
  • Well, we'll find out today very soon. On wednesday Minardi will be told if they are allowed to race.
  • And does Minardi look good by competing to a different set of rules?
    What's your definition of rules? Unfortunately the 'rules' are as clear as mud in this case.
  • Not buying it bro. This is pure bullcrap - I say bring the 05 car and if it takes a shit so be it. At least we go on with honor.
  • There are some things I dont understand.

What happened to the '05 aero that was tested? (and yes it was tested)

What happens if Minardi manage to score a point?
    Appearantly no 05 diffuser was ever made/run.
  • The BBC has stated that TOIT will not allow Minardi to run the 04 car. Todt states its an FIA decision. I don't buy the arguement that its TOIT's fault. Its not them who wants to run an illegal car.
    Stoddart knew from Brazil that TOIT were not keen on the idea. Why then was no attempt made by Stoddart to comply with the rules. I don't buy the arguements he's given about delays in rule certification. Option 2 was only the real possibilty.
    I think the delay about the new car was down to a la ck of money to pay for the TJ V 10s.
    Well if Stoddart believes the rules are illegal let him take it to court. I can't remember any case the FIA loss when Mosely was in dispute with the plaintiff.
  • I don't buy the arguement that its TOIT's fault. Its not them who wants to run an illegal car.
    hear hear!

• If all teams have agreed, what's the problem with TOIT? They will not suffer.

It may not be their fault, but there is no reason for them to disagree when all others don't have a problem.

Well we can always do a song and dance!

• Stop Press!

Just been a big story on Channel 10 news (host F1 broadcaster down here) that TOIT will not be agreeing to Minardi's request to run the 04 car! :spank:

Unless there is some frantic dealmaking behind the scenes, Minardi will not be running. Deadline is 4pm tomorrow. :o

Paul Stoddart hinted that if that's the case, the 8 other teams aligned with Minardi may boycott the race in solidarity..... wouldn't that be something! :)

Channel 10 also stated that the clear favourites amongst the general public seemed to be Minardi & Williams. ;)

[Edited on 2/3/2005 by MinardiP1]
  • Check my post. I hate to dissappoint you but the other 8 teams will not be boycotting.
    What colour is the sky in Stoddart's world? You can't sing the praises of the rule that says any change must have unanimous agreement and then complain when it goes against you. How wise was it to act as chief shop steward against TOIT, when you know when it comes to plaing politics they are past masters.
    No one hear has yet explained why he did not have a contingency arrangement for this scenario. He knew in October 2004 that Todt was not goona let this one slide.
    As for TasM assumption that it does not affect TOIT. Its the rules. Stoddart can't simply argue that he does not have the money to build an interim car. There are plenty of GP2 teams who would like to race in F1 who could mount the same arguement. It would have been better to spend the $2.5 million spent on the 2 seaters on a compliant chassis!
  • This is the part where Stoddart says "aw shit" and carts out the 05 diffusers. Right? RIGHT?
  • Why would the other teams let us compete (including those who some of us think we can beat)?

Out of pity?
    Because there is still nothing to fear from Minardi?
    Because it would illustrate that F1 isn't healthy?

I feel bad about the fact we don't have a proper car to race with. There can be no pride in whatever result Minardi will achieve in Melbourne. :(:(
  • Expect BE to step in at the last crucial moment (divine intervention) !!!!

He needs 20 cars / 10 teams afterall !!!!
  • options ??

Im sure that PS has this sorted, he must have some kind of plan - otherwise why ship what may be 'illegal' cars to Aus

If Toit do not agree

1/ Race anyway and call in the legal team

2/ Find a way to make the PS04 comply - did we test a pso4 with 2005 aero ? Is that enough for the new regs??
    Do we have the nessesary parts in Aus???

3/ Spectate:(
  • Stoddart had it coming on this one. There's no argument you can make for a need to operate to different rules. They should have built an 05 spec diffuser, got the other teams to agree not to enforce 107% if required, and got on with it.

There's no mileage in asking for special treatment. Better to be last under the same rules than first with an illegal car or an unfair advantage.

I hope they can come up with some sort of compromise - a penalty to offset the non compliant diffuser or something. There is after all no mileage in not having Minardi on the grid.
  • Jordan literally tacked carbon onto their 04 diffusers to make them compliant.
  • I don't buy the arguement that its TOIT's fault. Its not them who wants to run an illegal car.
    Spot on! So it all comes unravelling......It was about time. Playing F1 the way he has the last few years he has been extremely lucky. Don't expect too much from Bernie. 10 teams or not, he cannot afford to go against the FIA on this one as it would damage F1 even more.
    As Petrol says, they knew from an early time that TOIT were not going to allow them to race. Stoddart is playing on the fact that he is an Aussie and that cos he is in Melbourne he was hoping that pressure from his partisan crowd would make TOIT accept an illegal car.....No can do....
    Thats such a crap way to do business in F1.
  • Matt is right on this!
    PS is relying on his countrymen to support him.

But, what if they let him race the illegal cars this weekend, but won't let him at the next 2 GP's ?????

BTW, TOIT still refuses to sign: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=23656

I say PS, Todt and Whiting (?) should have a meeting, where PS can ask permission to the FIA and where the FIA can ask TOIT their aproval.
    Such a simple solution !!!! Why do they all have to behave like children!?:rolleyes:
  • Minardius, his countrymen will support him, and they do...

I'm not sure who's arguing that it's all TOIT's fault. The situation is quite clear, as Paul explains again and again, there were issues with Cosworth and the late finalisation of regulations. Nothing to do with TOIT.

Given Cosworth are our engine supplier, what was Paul supposed to do? Go ahead and build an chassis for a Renault block, only for Cosworth to claim breach of contract? No, he had to wait to find out whether Cosworth would deliver.

Paul has told the world for the past month that we would not be ready, yet you still feel the team should have had the parts finished?

You look those boys in the eye and tell them they should have worked harder, longer and better... they will say they did the best they could given the resources and time. There is a way we can still compete, however it requires the compassion of all 9 other teams. Ron Dennis, Frank Williams and Flavio have shown us that compassion, however one team hasn't.

Noone is blaming them, but that does not mean that one isn't allowed to despise them. They have respect to be gained, and dignity to be lost, and it appears they are choosing the latter.

This whole affair will no doubt leave a sour taste in the pallette of every F1 fan, the gulf between the 9 rebels and the FIA will broaden, and Bernie will be taking one step closer towards losing control of his beloved F1.
  • Channel 10 have just had an update and done a quick interview with Stoddart, who has spent much of the night on the phone to Ecclestone and Whiting to sort this out.

It looks good. Stoddart indicated that the cars should pass through scrutineering tomorrow without a problem and that he was hopeful Friday would be fine. Methinks BE will be on the phone to Luca De M and Jean T most of the night.

For some strange reason i'm confident things will be fine, I just can't see Ferrari wanting to look the villians, esp in Melbourne.