Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

It's official

2»

Comments

• I'm afraid running the V10 is a bad decision. How much cheaper is it compared to Cosworth's V8. The V10 is heavier and larger. Will the FIA allow the team to run higher revs to compensate for that disadvantage?
  • This decision has been made way too hastily. Even if Cosworth had withdrawn from F1 old Bernie would have been compelled to find us a power source for next year. Toyota want customers, I would have been quite happy with a Toyo V8 shoehorned into the chassis.

As it is we've left the relative competitiveness of Minardi in the FIA's hands, and that wont work out well for Paul Stoddart.

:(

btw, it's not just the engine handicap is it? The radiators required to cool a V8 will be smalller too.....
  • [quote]Minardi Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, comments, “We have been exceptionally impressed with the TJ2005 engine just in the short time we have been running it in the PS05. We can’t praise highly enough the power, driveability and reliability of the new power unit,
    hoe does he knoew that??

they have used the engine for one race and both cars did'nt make it halfway through that race.

sound like a lot of hot air from Stoddart again, always trying to make things sound better than they are. [/quote]

Maybe Red Bull told him !!!!;)

Btw, giving the V10/V8 subject another thought I conlcude that it might not be a bad thing to go with the V10:

Tech. and aero rules for 2006 are set to be like 2005.
    Like that we won't have to build an entirely new car.
    We can build on the PS05 and with the money that we save we should hit the tunnel to improve it into a decent PS06.

Something like the transformation between PS02 and PS03, but with a better execution (no rebuilding the car to fit a giraffe into it:mad:).
    I suppose we stay with Bstone as well in 2006, so we don't have to compromise like we did from PS02 to PS03 !!!!!!
  • Just found this on F1racing.net:
    Paul's new court threat

F1 team owner Paul Stoddart has threatened to return to court if the FIA do not allow Minardi to run a V10 engine next year. The little Faenza based team announced on Tuesday that it had done a deal to run a near-identical 'TJ' Cosworth V10 specification for the newly launched PS05 car in 2006.

Earlier, with the new 2.4 litre V8 formula on the way, the governing body said it 'reserved the right' to - for reasons of economy - allow a smaller, private team to stick with the existing (albeit rev-limited) V10 format.

But the wording of regulation 'Article 22' is hardly concrete. "I tell you what," Stoddart, staunch foe of FIA president Max Mosley, told Autosport, "if they remove or change (Article 22) they'll have a fight on their hands."
    There has been No word from the FIA on Minardi's PR and PS is already making "threats".
    In my opinion he should keep his mouth shut, untill the FIA says something.:mad:
    Now Max will more likely lower the revs more than planned only to retaliate PS!!!!!!:spank:
  • The problem with Article 22 is that it says that teams can run a V10 if there is no V8 supply. Well there is a Cosworth V8 on the shelf waiting for a chassis.
    If Stoddart wants to take it to court, he can. But he better be prepared if he loses. In that case he will have to redesign the car. Its no point threatening the FIA. I can't remember a single court case they have lost!
  • BAR already tested a V8 last week on Mugello. Anthony Davidson and Enrique Bernoldi were behind the steering wheel. They were 4 sec. slower compared to the current V10, but they were not going for fast times yet.
  • I just can't believe it's that much more for the V8 especially considering the development commitment you'll get vs. zero on the V10 side.

If there are no other customers for the Cosworth V8 and this is true-
    'Article 22 is that it says that teams can run a V10 if there is no V8 supply.' From what I remember that statement is accurate, Stoddart is screwed even if Cosworth pulls out of F1 completely as it doesn't state at what price a supply of V8's needs to be to constitute 'available.' How's this for a scenario- Max to Jean- 'Paul needs an engine Jean, How much?' Insert figure to cause swift death. Better to keep Cosworth as interested in remaining as long as possible.

Why would the man willing put his head on the block like this?!
  • My guess is that if there are no customers for the V8 Cosworth might leave the sport. Were I on the dark side I'd offer Schnaider cut rate engines to hasten this knowing it could knock Minardi (and the PITA Stoddart) out of the game. You get a 2 for 1, Jordan gets pulled further into the FIA/Ferrari orbit and Minardi gone or spending waaaay to much to survive for long.
  • You think the engines failed at Imola?

It's a press release, get over it.
    no, but the engines did'nt have to go the entire race distance..
  • "A self respecting F1 team should at least try to build a new car every year"

Just like EJ did, and now the only reminder that it was Jordan is the colour of the cars!
  • What if, following that the FIA accepts Stoddarts position, that the other manafacturers in the gang of nine make the same declaration?

The V8 would be dead.
  • It was reported in Autosport that both Merc and BMW are seriously considering the V10 route - but are running dual V8/V10 programmes because they can't make a final decision - they haven't got the specs for the V10 restrictions off the FIA.

Just goes to show what a shambles Max is presiding over at present (either he's gone nuts or he is actively trying to drive 1 or 2 manufacturers out of F1), but does also perhaps put Stoddart's decision in a different light. We may not be the only ones, which would make a tremendous difference to the way V10s are treated by the FIA.