Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Webber

Oh dear his "race craft" is going to end up killing somebody soon :mad:
That move to block Fisichella, you just have to be completely stupid to pull such a move going 200 miles. And it was not the first time he did something like that, can he really compete in F1 without being dangerous?

Comments

• I agree he clearly wasn't watching his mirrors closely enough, it was like he simply didn't see that Fisi was making a move until waaaayyy too late. Moving accross so late did look too little too late, but I don't think he was being as stupid as you think, I think it was more a case of not making the move early enough for it to be effective.

Sadly, Webbo seems to have a real problem with overtaking and being overtaken. Give him time, remember the cars are more difficult now and he didn't exactly get a lot of overtaking action in the Jaguar.
  • Just found this little tidbit from grandprix.com's Joe Saward.

"The same could be said of Williams. Webber did his best but the strategy had called for a good first lap and the drag race down to the first corner had screwed him up because he was stuck behind Ralf Schumacher. The team decided to change strategy, abandoning the three-stop strategy and going for an early stop with a long middle stint. The load of fuel did not help the tyres and by the end of the race they were vibrating badly and Webber could do nothing under attack from Fisichella. He finished sixth which is disappointing. The drivers have been taking the blame a little too much this year and there is a ground swell of opinion that the problem may lie more in the software and perhaps even in the horsepower being pumped out by the Munich V10. One thing is certain there is a lot of friction these days between the people who build the front half of the cars and those who build the bit at the back. Nick Heidfeld drove from 17th on the grid to 10th but the built-in disadvantage of the engine change on Friday ruined his weekend.

• Webbers best ever result was the 5th place with us!!
  • Webbers best ever result was the 5th place with us!!
    Yeah, it was a mistake to leave us :P

Someone should write him a mail... :hehe:
  • I'll say it again, not too loud, that boy is overrated.
    He would alright in Minardi, it would be lovely to have him back.

Rai said that Briatore could take him to Renault and give Fisichella to Williams. Hope for Fisico that won't happen.
  • From what I understand, Flavio gave Mark the choice as to which team he wanted to join..... chose the wrong one. :(

Mark apparently was quite adamant that he wanted to be a Williams driver as he likes the no-bullshit way Frank and Patrick run the team. Many of his confidants recommended Williams as being precisely the environment Mark needed, not the least of which was Alan Jones.
  • As long as Mark is doing better than his team mate then he is doing a good job.

He has made some mistakes but that comes out of frustrations on not having a car that can run at the front.

BMW and Williams need to get their shit in order. If anyone is on shkey ground its Sam Michael.
  • Yeah, but Heidfeld already had a podiumfinish this season and Webber hasn't come close !!!!
  • Hasn't come close? Wake the f*ck up! :rolleyes:

Malaysia 2005 - he was within a banzai Fisichella error from being on the podium.
  • I thought he was doing a pretty good job - it often looks bad when you qualify better than the car deserves, ask Jarno Trulli.

As to the "blocking", well that's part of the game now. They pretty much all do it. Sad, but blame Senna and Schumacher (who remains an outrageously poor racer).
  • Hasn't come close? Wake the f*ck up! :rolleyes:

Malaysia 2005 - he was within a banzai Fisichella error from being on the podium.
    The end result is what counts and DNF is NOT close to podium in my eyes !!!;)

Bahrein and Spain were also not good, being overtaken for 5th place and ending up 6th !!!!!
  • And of course both of those were Webber's fault? :rolleyes:

Bahrain: He held DeLaRosa up for several laps in a car down on revs, when DeLaRosa was the fastest car on track by a mile. How exactly would you have defended differently?

Spain: Here we have the championship-leading car getting a bloody good tow down the longest main straight in F1. What else could he have done to defend it? Once again he had held Fisi up for a few laps but the Renault has better aero and could stick closer leading onto the straight.

I draw your attention to Joe Saward's comments above - Webber is flattering the car in quallys and (podium aside) has more points in the bank than Nick.

• If Nick wouldn't have had the penalty in Spain, he would have been in front of Webbo for sure !!!!!:angel:
  • From Eurosport.
    Williams blast Webber

BMW Williams' top brass have turned on driver Mark Webber after his disappointing performance in Sunday's Spanish GP. The Australian failed to capitalise on a front-row start and finished sixth after being overtaken three times during the 66-lap race.

Webber: We need more pace

Although Webber declared himself happy with three "useful points" after the race, his Willams bosses were clearly unimpressed and took the unusual step of publicly admonishing their driver in a press release.

"After qualifying, we were hoping for more. Mark had a very bad start and was never in a position to benefit from the strategy that he was on," blasted BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen.

Chief operations engineer Sam Michael concurred, saying: "With Mark's car, we did not achieve the best possible result."

"Considering he was fifth after first qualifying yesterday, we took a bit of a gamble on strategy by going for a short first stint. But the start was not good enough to make the strategy work, so we then changed our schedule when Mark pitted for the first time, after 18 laps."

Webber performed miracles to beat Fernando Alonso and Jarno Trulli onto the front row of the grid, behind Kimi Raikkonen, but was slow off the mark and immediately slipped down to fourth.

Consequently, Williams's ambitious three-stop strategy went up in smoke as the lightweight Australian got stuck behind Alonso and Ralf Schumacher and was unable to make the most of his low fuel load.

Things got worse as a struggling Webber was passed by a string of rivals. On 36 laps Rubens Barrichello made the most of a Webber lock-up to sneak by.

Then 20 laps later fellow Williams Nick Heidfeld embarrassed his team-mate with a simple-looking manoeuvre.

Webber's humiliation was complete two laps from home, when Giancarlo Fisichella breezed past to snatch fifth.

Theissen denied that the hastily-built BMW engine that only arrived in Barcelona on Saturday hindered his driver's progress.

He missed both of Friday's practice sessions, but got straight into his stride in qualifying and appeared set for a podium finish until a depressingly lacklustre race performance.

"The engines which were built over Friday night in Munich worked fine," said Theissen.
    Webber out, Button in? If it isn't this year, it will be next year I think.

• Webber is flattering the car in quallys and (podium aside) has more points in the bank than Nick.
    Last time I checked Heidfeld and Webber both had 9 points.

I've said Webbo was a qualifying man when he was still in the Minardi. Turns out I was right.
  • I think Webber will win a race this year. The package needs time to sort itself out.

Remember it's a new design team....

And I am not saying this out of rosie coloured glasses either.

I think Kimi and Alonso are better, but Webber, once he gets over driving frustrated will be OK.

I think Sam Michael has more to answer for personally.
  • I'm afraid the biggest problem for Webber is not only the fact that he can't stand the pressure of other cars around him. His driving style seems to be just too hard on the tires. I feel Heidfeld will eliminate him by mid-season.
  • Webber is on 12 points, clearly in 6th place ahead of Michael Schumacher, Montoya, Coulthard, Barrichello and Heidfeld, and within striking distance of third. That's expectable for the Williams which is not one of the fastest three cars on the grid.

Sam Michael sends the car out in the race with too much drag and on short fuel pitstops as if it is actually a fast car or something. It is too slow, he must take off some wing and let it run longer middle stints so it is faster towards the end of the race.

and why won't the thing launch is that webber, or the LC.
  • Yeah points are something that counts at the end of the day but F1 is something more than just statistical evidence. No one is taking those 12 points away from him of course, I just think he's one of the most overrated guys over there. If the decision about Button's team-mate for 06 had to be made today, unfortunately Nicky boy wouldn't be the one looking for a new chief I suspect.
  • Geez... look at the Dutchies come out to play when there's a sniff of blood in the air..... next thing you'll be telling us is that Verstappen has been linked with a mid-season move to Williams. :rolleyes: :hehe:

As for being harder on his tyres, I think you'll find that Webber is one of the best 'tyre-managers' on the grid.

I also agree Kimi and Alonso are better, but I think that Mark is at least the equal of Montoya, Fisi and Button, and better than Ralf and Heidfeld. I still can't see Heidfeld posing a serious challenge to Webber - his only decent points haul came as a result of Mark's misfortune.
  • Even when the guy no longer races for us the debate still lingers.

I think viges summed it up in another thread when he said that Webber has flattered the car in qualifying. I agree.

I think Mark is copping alot of flak which should be directed towards BMW and Williams. Don't get me wrong, Mark has also made mistakes, but I think criticism of him has been disproportionate.

The BMW V10 is clearly NOT the benchmark it once was. BMW scrapped the 05 unit when the 2 race engine rule was enforced and modified last years unit with reduced revs to prolong engine life. You can't blame them really when 06 will be V8's.

If you look at the speed traps Nick and Mark are near the bottom of the list. This IS NOT just a BMW performance problem but also a Williams fault. The Williams aero does not produce enough downforce, pure and simple when compared to Renault, Mclaren, Ferrari, and Toyota. To compensate both drivers have to run extra wing which attributes to them being sitting ducks along the straight, especially towards the end of the race when their tyres are worn and they dont get the drive out of the last corner.

If you look at head on vision of the FW27 coming down the straight it looks like a bucking bronco. It looks very stiff, not the set up you need to ride the curbs.

Mark has been unfortunate at the start of races in that he seems to qualify on the dirty part of the track. This coupled with the lacklustre start of the Williams means they get of the line slower, and when the aero kicks in at about 50kph means they get picked of down the straight before the first corner. Its ok if like Nick you start at the back, cause its easy to look good when surrounded by Minardi's Jordan's etc. When you have Kimi, FA and Trulli around you, then a bad start is amplified.

Webber was on a 3 stop strategy, but after the bad start the team changed it to a two stopper. This meant his first stop was 6 laps before anyone else and fueled to the brim. This is what wrecked his tyres, NOT his diving style as mentioned by others. What the last two GP's have shown is the guys that come in first for their stops, unless thay have a substantial gap to those behind lose out. Just look at Ralf and Trulli. Webber never had a hope with that strategy.

What Webber is doing at Williams is what he did at Jag and Minardi. Taking the thing by the scruff of the neck and wringing the life out of it. Why? because simply the Williams is a peice of shit. Williams have really lost their way. They blamed the correlation of the two wind tunnels for the aero deficiencies, but what of the chassis, the engine, and strategists. All areas are below where they should be. Don't just blame Webber.
  • I totally agree with Roo's comments. Well said Roo.

Just to add, here is what Alan Jones had to say...

"Some cars are better than others at starts," Jones said.

"Obviously Renault have got theirs down pat – and that's all part of your clutch and your revs and your engine management and so forth.

"Having said that, he is not known for his starts, but I'd probably say it's about 70 per cent car and 30 per cent driver.

"We shouldn't be too hard on him. At the end of the day it's by no accident that the Renaults always do fantastic starts."

Webber is doing a great job, he has just had some bad luck. I think the Strategies and the car have a lot to be desired.
  • Oh and Fox, you suspect wrong.
  • Great post 'Roo.

• Just keepin it real fellas!
  • Webber's shit
  • Hell has frozen.
  • I agree that Williams and BMW haven't got their sh!t together!!!!!

But,
    Fisico also had problems in the race. He had a pitstop of 35sec. to change the nose and in the end he catched up and cathed Webbo in his web !!!!

Btw,
    Then 20 laps later fellow Williams Nick Heidfeld embarrassed his team-mate with a simple-looking manoeuvre.
    ' Nuff said !!!!!:hehe:
  • Its not fully Webber's fault. Williams expect him to be brilliant but the pressure is too much. Should have had 2 years at Minardi where pressure was low.
  • I don't think you actually watched the race Minardus - Webber let Heidfeld thru because Mark was actually pitting the same lap. Watch the tape. :rolleyes:

Eurosport seems to be just stirring shit in this instance.